Suspension techniques sway bars on 97 ex

RKSskier

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a few questions about suspension techniques sway bars. Will the front bar work as a direct replacement to the current 22 mm stock ex bar? For the ST front sway bar that's meant for the ex or a civic that already has a front sway bar, will it fit in the same position and not have any ground clearance issues? Will it use the same end links?

For the rear bar is it possible to purchase the l brackets to mount off the shock mount separately anywhere?

Last question that is on a slightly different topic. Am I correct that a gsr front bar can fit on the front of an ex, but ends up fitting low and doesn't have very good ground clearance?

Thanks all!

Dominick

EM1crew.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have the rear bar myself, but I don't think you can get the independent hardware off a commercial shop. Might have to make some or search the classifieds.

willost

We don't run a front bar on the race car. Less traction and more wheel spin cornering. Just a rear bar is needed.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

RKSskier

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This is for a street car that is used on the weekends for Sunday drives, and some autocross and track days when I can. I'm on gc coils but not running a stiff enough front rate to justify no bar.

I am currently running 350 front with a stock 22mm bar and 280 rear with a 14mm rear bar. I have just picked up a 24mm front bar from st and a rear itr 22mm bar. I think this should minimize body roll and adjust the handling balance to the level I am looking for. Should find out soon.

RKSskier

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just to update this, after having 350lb front with a 22mm and rear 280lb with no bar for years, it was a nice balance improvement once I ran a rear 14mm integra bar with the stock front. It still did not rotate as much as I would have wanted, plus I was really wanting less body roll in general. Not just the track, but on the street as well. I had that setup for several years.

Then last fall I changed to a rear type r 22mm and the front 24mm st bar and kept the same spring rates. This increased the front bar to a 24mm (which was about a 40% increase in bar stiffness) and increased the rear from 14mm to the 22mm (which was about a 500% in bar rate increase). I am quite happy with this setup and find it is a great balance for me. The car could be much stiffer for the track, but I don't go on track that often really, and I found it to do very well on track. With the spring rates and bars, it has minimal roll, still is compliant enough and not too stiff for windy mountain roads, and comfortable enough to be a fun weekend car that my wife will ride in. When I went on track the car seems to be fairly neutral and will tend to error on the side of oversteer on corner entry to mid corner, and then of course can have understeer as well. I don't think this setup is too aggressive or dangerous for the street or backroads, and is still fun. So for anyone looking for a fast and enjoyable setup it is no surprise that the same bar size and ratio that is on the ITR 24mm front and 22mm rear is a great option. I just thought I would share in case this ever helps anyone.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
And I didn't see this when originally posted, but there are no "off the shelf" brackets for the old style ST rear bar. If you don't have them, like I didn't when I got it, I had to purchase the whole endlink kit from ST to get the brackets. If I recall, it was around $75, but then you have everything and its new. Now Dominick has my old setup =) But there is always making the brackets if you have the ability to do so =)