Swap Info

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thought this could be helpful to some people and answer some questions that would otherwise mean constant new threads about "What swap do I do?" Yeah some of the answers and info are obvious but hey.

Credit goes to http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/4gtech/index.html

Target Car
88-91 Civic
88-91 CRX

ZC
D16A8 (ZC)
D16A9 (ZC)
* Direct bolt-in swap
* Some wiring modifications needed

B16A1 (JDM)
B18A
* Requires HASport or Place Racing B-Series Mount Kit

B17A
* Requires HASport or Place Racing B-Series Mount Kits
* OBD-1 conversion wiring recommended

B18C5 (Type-R)
* Requires B-Series cable transmission (Y1, J1, S1)
* Requires HASport or Place Racing B-Series Mount Kits
* OBD-2 conversion wiring recommended

90-93 Integra B18C1
* B-Series cable transmission (Y1, J1, S1) recommended
(Stock B18A transmission can be reused)
* OBD-1/OBD-2 conversion wiring recommended

B18C5 (Type-R)
* B-Series cable transmission (Y1, J1, S1) recommended
(Stock B18A transmission can be reused)
* OBD-2 conversion wiring recommended

B17A
* Direct bolt-in swap
* OBD-1 conversion wiring recommended

Target Car
92-95 Civic
92-95 Del Sol
94-95 Integra

B18C1
B16A2
B18B1
* Direct bolt-in swap

B17A
* Requires hydraulic transmission or HASport cable clutch conversion Kit

B18C5 (Type-R)
* Requires OBD-2 conversion wiring

H22A (Prelude)
* Requires H22A mount kit from HASport or Place Racing
* Requires wiring harness modification

96-97 Del Sol
96-00 Integra B18C1 (96+)
B18C5 (Type-R)
* Bolt-in swap

H22A (Prelude)
* Requires H22A mount kit from HASport or Place Racing
* Requires wiring harness modification

Target Car
96-98 Civic

B18C5 (Type-R)
B18C1
B16A2
B18B1
* Bolt-in swap
* Requires 99-00 Civic Si Rear mount
* Requires wiring harness modifications.

B17A
* Requires hyraulic transmission or HASport cable clutch conversion Kit
* Requires 99-00 Civic Si Rear mount
* Requires wiring harness modifications
* OBD-1 ECU adaptor needed

B16B (Civic-R)
* Bolt-in swap
* Requires wiring harness modifications for LHD cars

Target Car
99-00 Civic Si

B18C5 (Type-R)
B18C1
* Bolt-in swap
* Requires wiring harness modifications.
* ECU adaptor needed
* Re-use 99-00 Civic Si Rear mount

B16B (Civic-R)
* Bolt-in swap
* Requires wiring harness modifications for LHD cars
* ECU adaptors needed

*EDIT*
K-Swap info:

The Hasport kits work with either size engine (K20 or K24) and with all the combinations like a K24 from an Accord on the bottom end with a K20A2 head from an RSX Type-S. The K24 motors have EGR built into the head (except the CR-V), and the K24A2 from the TSX has a different ECU and harness. Other than these anomalies, they're all the same electrically and emissions-wise.

*Concerns:
If you've done a Honda hybrid swap, this is no tougher. Three mount points, three new custom mounts. You need a custom exhaust and driveshafts, but Hasport is currently supplying the necessary parts. The wiring is very tricky, however. Plan four to five hours on wires alone if you go it yourself, or just buy the Hasport sub-harnesses.
Emissions may require a lot of work, depending on your state's rules. The 1999-to-2000 cars generally have all the sensors the K ECU is looking for, but other years/models may require parts from newer years/models of Civics to be fully emissions compliant. Though it's unlikely to happen, should you happen to find a TSX, be careful. The TSX has the electronic throttle control which only serves to complicate things.

The K24 from the CRV doesn't have an EGR sensor because the CRV is considered a "Small Truck" and doesn't have to fulfill all the emissions crap that cars do. This could simplify things.

CUSTOM PARTS
Engine mounts
Diveshafts.No OEM units work exactly
Wiring harness
Exhaust header
A/C hoses (optional)
Air intake (aftermarket units are easily modified)
Fuel pressure regulator

HONDA PARTS NOT FROM YOUR CAR
2002-and-up Civic Si throttle cable
1990-1997 Accord shifter box or RSX shifter box
1994-2001 GS-R radiator hoses
2002-and-up Civic Si idler pulley (goes where power steering pump was)

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mmm ZC for the 4th gens....

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my roomie just picked up a white 4th gen hatchie. He gets to pick it up in a couple days and after that it will be parked next to his BMW 528is lol.

The Beemer is up for sale and then the hatchie is getting swapped. I'm aiming him towards LS turbo but he keeps getting sucked into the B16A :roll:

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ZC FTW lol

hugecrapbox

thrsgrapefruit on the jdm
5+ Year Member
yeah. but only because its cheaper and i wouldn't have to worry about picking the one garage in NH that would actually check my emissions.

but yeah. b18b= pretty sexy.

LowNotSlow said:
my roomie just picked up a white 4th gen hatchie. He gets to pick it up in a couple days and after that it will be parked next to his BMW 528is lol.

The Beemer is up for sale and then the hatchie is getting swapped. I'm aiming him towards LS turbo but he keeps getting sucked into the B16A :roll:

Jason-

jdm king :p
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Jdm h22a. Mount kits run about 300-600 bucks. Wire it yourself using online tutorials and run a chipped p28 ecu. It'll be fast.

Or.. you can buy the itr, b18c5, and only need a few mods to the wiring. H22 is faster, but your choice. Personally since I've rode in both, jdm h22a with lsd. =)

-Jason

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dude an H22 doesn't fit in the 4th gen engine bay. WAY TOO BIG.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
im assuming the 99-00 si target car would also speak for all 99-00 models (hatchback, coupe, sedan?).

hows a k-series in a 99 coupe? ;)

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
in a word: AWESOME

but then there are very few small cars that K20 isn't awesome in. I love my K20A3 even though it's not 200hp. It's has something civic don't have. Torque. The torque difference between the K20A2 and the K20A3 is only 2lbs and the A3 makes it 3000rpm lower.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
well i mean i was asking about swap info lol. i know they're amazing in civics. more than they are in the body of the car they come in.

but i mean swap info wise, any info on that?

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
K-Swap info:

The Hasport kits work with either size engine (K20 or K24) and with all the combinations like a K24 from an Accord on the bottom end with a K20A2 head from an RSX Type-S. The K24 motors have EGR built into the head (except the CR-V), and the K24A2 from the TSX has a different ECU and harness. Other than these anomalies, they're all the same electrically and emissions-wise.

*Concerns:
If you've done a Honda hybrid swap, this is no tougher. Three mount points, three new custom mounts. You need a custom exhaust and driveshafts, but Hasport is currently supplying the necessary parts. The wiring is very tricky, however. Plan four to five hours on wires alone if you go it yourself, or just buy the Hasport sub-harnesses.
Emissions may require a lot of work, depending on your state's rules. The 1999-to-2000 cars generally have all the sensors the K ECU is looking for, but other years/models may require parts from newer years/models of Civics to be fully emissions compliant. Though it's unlikely to happen, should you happen to find a TSX, be careful. The TSX has the electronic throttle control which only serves to complicate things.

The K24 from the CRV doesn't have an EGR sensor because the CRV is considered a "Small Truck" and doesn't have to fulfill all the emissions crap that cars do. This could simplify things.

CUSTOM PARTS
Engine mounts
Diveshafts.No OEM units work exactly
Wiring harness
Exhaust header
A/C hoses (optional)
Air intake (aftermarket units are easily modified)
Fuel pressure regulator

HONDA PARTS NOT FROM YOUR CAR
2002-and-up Civic Si throttle cable
1990-1997 Accord shifter box or RSX shifter box
1994-2001 GS-R radiator hoses
2002-and-up Civic Si idler pulley (goes where power steering pump was)