Taking the catalytic converter off my 99 civic, need some help

ScottMag

I live in northern Canada where you do not need to get your car etested, I'm going to take the catalytic converter off my 1999 civic 4 door, everything is stock except my cold air intake and stainless steel exhaust from my cat, was just wondering how hard it would be to take my cats off, if I should bring it to a shop or if I'm able to do it myself,
Any help would be appreciated, thanks

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
If the cat is bolted on then it shouldn't be too hard to take it off yourself...you will need to fill the gap again with a bolt on strait pipe...or you could hollow out your cat and bolt it back on. If they aren't bolted on then you need to cut them off, which in that case you would need to weld a strait pipe back on.

ScottMag

I have a 99 civic DX so I think the cat is infront of engine which might make it harder, will banging out the cat make it sound bad? And can you buy straight pipe that you can bolt on where the cat was?
Thanks for your reply

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
if the cat had been bolted on itself as just a cat, then yes. It would have been easy to buy a SS aftermarket strait pipe, I wouldn't suggest "banging out" your cat (what do you mean?? hammering it away??) if you mean it literally? But if you mean the REMOVAL of it, no. it wont sound bad but you will get a cell code reading from your ecu concerning the civic's emissions. BUT it will free up the flow since a cat actually compresses and holds back some of the exhaust's air flow and it sometimes frees up about 1 hp. not noticeable but its something

ScottMag

I've heard of people just banging out the inside of the cat freeing it up, and would taking it out turn my check engine light on?

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
I've heard of people just banging out the inside of the cat freeing it up, and would taking it out turn my check engine light on?
Yes, the check engine light is what turns on when you have Cel codes from your ecu. I suggest that if you are going to Hollow the cat, to do it properly. Banging out the ceramic isn't enough. there will be pieces lying around the surrounding walls. if you place your cat in there in that condition they will fall apart during the heating process and can make there way into the engine. It sounds fetched but it has happened, I have seen it happen myself. If you have a hammer with a wooden handle, carefully hit the ceramic cone walls until the pieces begin to fall. once you can no longer do it this way, use a wire brush to remove the ceramic in the surrounding wall, wash, and repeat until you can see it is completely clean.

*if you are worried about the cell codes and the engine must be up to par when you pay for the tags or registration or plan on selling soon, then I suggest you keep the cat and just buy a strait pipe so that way you can just switch it in when needed*

CO671

Registered VIP
I wrote this in another thread just yesterday.. Should be relative to your issue since i'm too lazy to re-type

Are you talking about the catalytic converter fitted into the exhaust manifold like this?

What you could do is look around for an EX header from a 96-00 Civic EX model, get a new catalytic, and do the conversion.
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=222404

The O2 sensor on our Civic's are very sensitive, so you'd need to be careful with the catalytic and O2 Sensor. Why do you need to remove the catalytic converter anyways? Is your current one clogged? Cracked? You don't have one at all? If your problem is with the secondary (downstream) o2 Sensor there's a trick for a few bucks that I've used and works, here's the tutorial and explanation: http://www.6crew.com/forum/showthread.php?8613-Spark-Plug-Non-Foulers-as-an-o2-CEL-Fix!

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
I figured he would have this type of exhaust and I feel it is easy to work on...but if it is under then you just have to take the proper precautions with jack stands and such. Also if it is this type of set up, then you can simply by a set of headers without a cat that bolt strait to the exhaust.

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What are you trying to gain from this, you wont get any type of gains from it and will sound like complete crap. All while adding a crap ton of stuff into the air.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
What are you trying to gain from this, you wont get any type of gains from it and will sound like complete crap. All while adding a crap ton of stuff into the air.
I have never used a strait oem myself, just strait 3" but I doubt deleting the cat will make a ton of recognizable difference to make it sound like "crap". Gains, again not much! at most 1 hp, but he did ask for advise and that's what im giving him if he is going to go forward with it. Spewing out stuff into the air... yes if his engine is in poor condition but it is possible to tune a N/A engine for efficiency to eliminate this. I did it to my rex7 when I had it, most 1st gen rex7 guys do this. its hard but can be done.