tdc position cel!!! help

willskillz805

5+ Year Member
ok so i replaced my rotor and now my car is throwing a cel light. code 8 which is a tdc position sensor. i have no idea what sensor this is, i know it is in the distributor itself but dont know which part. how do i go about fixing this. a friend of mine told me most likely it just needs to be re timed and the ecu reset, that if i had a bad sensor the car wouldn't run. the car fires up but after about 30 seconds the cel lights up. i can drive it but i dont know if its safe or not. anyone had this problem and got it fixed?? i have an 89 lx. its the gay ass dpfi. i was contemplating just doing an mpfi swap but if i do that i still wanna get this fixed so i can sell my distributor. any help would be great. i have a pic of the dist. if anyone can point out what the tdc sensor is

si-hatch86

undesputed slowhatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
your car will be fine. ive driven with that code before for over 3k miles no problem. the only way ive heard is to replace the dizzy. do a mpfi swap and keep that for parts like the coil pack and ignitors. no retiming wont fix it and resetting the ecu either. you can try but wont work.

willskillz805

5+ Year Member
so whats the difference between my dizzy and a dizzy from a crx si?? aren't they the same or can i use some of the internals from mine? i thought about doing an mpfi swap but i havent found any dizzy on craigslist recently

si-hatch86

undesputed slowhatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so whats the difference between my dizzy and a dizzy from a crx si?? aren't they the same or can i use some of the internals from mine? i thought about doing an mpfi swap but i havent found any dizzy on craigslist recently
i dont know the exact difference but i know it wont run with a dpfi dizzy on a mpfi swap. you can use the internals on yours but like i said before swapping them over besides ignitors and coil pack is more trouble than getting a diff one.

willskillz805

5+ Year Member
so i replaced the tdc sensor and it was running fine for awhile and then as i came to a stop, the car started to stutter and dies. and what do you know, flashing a code 4 and 16. crank angle sensor and fuel injectors. could this be due to a bad main relay? or maybe my wiring is messed up when i re wired the tdc sensor. is the crank angle sensor the piece on the right in the picture above? and is it part of the plug that has 5 wires on it or the plug that has 2 wires on it??