TDC sensor code

peddler123

The engine management light (CEL) has come on, on my 2001 Honda civic. I checked the code using the
OBD-II connector under the steering wheel and the engine light blinks 8 times (long blinks) which I believe indicates TDC sensor. Does this mean the sensor is faulty, and needs to be replaced or does it mean the timing needs to be reset ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would goto autozone and get it done for free with a proper scanner to see what code its throwing

peddler123

I would goto autozone and get it done for free with a proper scanner to see what code its throwing
Thanks Esotericimage, unfortunately I live in Ireland and Autozone don't operate here. Only choice here is to go to a garage or dealership and pay what sometimes can be a rip off charge.
Also I forgot to mention that while checking the code using the OBD connector the ERP light was flashing but does not while driving or idling.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Theres scanners that can be purchased for cheap.. I keep mine in my glovebox for any family or friends who have a light turn on..

A]]Th!ngSound

Aspiring to Boost
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The engine management light (CEL) has come on, on my 2001 Honda civic. I checked the code using the
OBD-II connector under the steering wheel and the engine light blinks 8 times (long blinks) which I believe indicates TDC sensor. Does this mean the sensor is faulty, and needs to be replaced or does it mean the timing needs to be reset ?

Thanks in advance for any help.
The CEL blinking 8 long blinks is actually 80. Long blinks indicate 10, short indicate 1. However, the TDC code you mentioned is for OBD1 and OBD0 cars. Yours being OBD2-B, the blinking CEL almost always indicates catalyst related issues such as emissions, misfire, bad compression, faulty distributor wiring etc. Definitely get a scanner and use that to determine what codes are showing. I'm guessing it may have something to do with EGR flow.

Last edited:

payne4200

I had the same thing, the TDC sensor is your camshaft sensor, I had to Google it to find that out, the people at O'Reilly didn't know what it was, none of them ever do. I bought mine from Honda for $107.00, you can probably find one cheaper, but you get what you pay for.