Temp gauge fluctuating

predsel

Hey guys, I drive an 02 civic ex with just a little over 91,100 miles on it. I noticed that today the temp gauge went up to 3/4 then back down to normal (just a little below half) on my drive home from work.

I decided to drive it around to see what was going on, here's what I did:

Turned the car off when I got home . Turned it back on after 20 minutes and Let it idle for a couple minutes but nothing happened (temp gauge was normal at a little under half). I drove it around for 10 minutes, nothing happened. Pulled to the side confused but started driving again then got into first then second gear then cruised at about 3000 rpm then noticed the temp started going up to 3/4 but then went back down to below half. Tried to reenact it, nothing happened. Pulled to the side again then went to third gear this time and it started doing it again but when I tried to reenact it, nothing happened. I drove the car for another 15 minutes and it never went back up again. I never turned the car off from the time I let it idle until I just gave up and went home. So it was on for a good 30ish minutes.

I just got the car diagnosed almost three weeks ago and the only thing the mechanic found was a fuel pump leak which I got fixed. No check engine light. No smell. No smoke or anything. What could be the problem? (If there is even one)

RonJ

Banned
Top off the radiator and reservoir with coolant and then bleed the cooling system with the heater set to MAX heat.

predsel

Thanks? Haha. I drove it again today and it the temperature stayed normal...what is going on?

I'll try what you told me if it happens one more time for now I'll just get everything checked out

RonJ

Banned
Thanks? Haha. I drove it again today and it the temperature stayed normal...what is going on?

I'll try what you told me if it happens one more time for now I'll just get everything checked out
Why wait? Operate preventively.

predsel

Will do that as soon as I have time. I'm kind of looking for an explanation as to why this would happen though. I realized it only happens when I turn my temp knob from blue (cold) to red (hot)

RonJ

Banned
Air in the cooling system prevents proper coolant flow and cooling and interferes with the temp sensors and fan switch.