temp sending unit help

masteryoshi

First off, this is my first post.and my first civic. I bought the car how it is. It's a 95 civic ex, with I believe an 89 civic d15b1, with mpfi swap. Car ran great my first few days of having it. Then started over heating. I changed the coolant temp sensor, thermostat, topped off fluids and bled the system. Car seems to be running fine now. But the temp guage won't read. Took me forever to figure out the obd1 wiring harness difference and noticed a yellow and green wire hanging out the back of motor under the intake. Got it hooked back up to where I think it goes. Temp guage maxes out as soon as I turn the key. So went to AutoZone and looked up the temp sending unit. Got home and took the old one out. They look completely different. Single wire connection on both. Same thread pattern. One is a 24mm other is a 13mm. Old one has a hole on the end and is cut off at the threads. New one has no hole, but rather protrudes out making it longer. The question is, are those interchangeable? Like a new style? Did I even pull the right sensor? Or is that and oil pressure or knock sensor? Thanks for any help you can give me

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
Looks like you pulled the low oil press light sender not the temp sender. The sender for the temp is usually around the t-stat but some older models had a 2 wire sender on the back of the block for the fan to activate. Ground that single wire and see if you get a oil light.

Sent from my boujea ass phone