Testing out the new camera

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I bought a new camera about a week ago and decided to test it out. It's a Sony A-55, not technically an SLR but it's Sony's new equivalent, still an interchangeable lens camera. Originally I wasn't thrilled with the picture quality and was thinking about exchanging it for a Nikon D5100 but after some minor retouching I'm happy with these and think I just need to learn my settings a little better.

Anyways, here's a couple shots. What do you guys think? Comments, suggestions, tips? Both cars are pretty much stock.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks guys, I'm satisfied with them for a first time out although they didn't look quite that good straight off the camera. I just used the auto setting on the camera and made some adjustments in Photoshop. I need to learn the camera a little better and hopefully can get improved results as I figure things out. Taking pictures makes me want to spend more money on mods, haha.

XcLuSiVeLy4GoD

ODP
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The shots look good bro! Remember it was your first batch. Also I learned early on that the most important piece of equipment to have is the lens. Kit lenses are good starter lenses, but I highly recommend looking into better glass... you can definitely see the difference. Ask CHILD... I bought a Sony after several lengthy pm's with CHILD.... I love my camera, but I didn't love it as much until I bought better glass then what I had. LOL... Give it time homie... like with everything it takes time to learn. I recommend the Karl Taylor micro course... its free and the guy is a great teacher! www.karltaylorphotography.com

Thanks guys, I'm satisfied with them for a first time out although they didn't look quite that good straight off the camera. I just used the auto setting on the camera and made some adjustments in Photoshop. I need to learn the camera a little better and hopefully can get improved results as I figure things out. Taking pictures makes me want to spend more money on mods, haha.
Auto, just like P (Program) mode will give you good shots, don't be afraid to play around with the settings though, learn the camera in and out, then you will know what can take your photos from good to great...

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks, I definitely want to get some other lenses just not sure what to go for quite yet. I want to get a little more acclimated to the camera as is yet so I can really appreciate the difference when I step up to a better lens. I haven't checked out the Karl Taylor site yet but I definitely will. I have a Lynda.com subscription as well through work and they have some good stuff on there as well.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
They look fine to me :thumbs up.

I haven't shot in auto in years. Not even P, A, or S. I always shoot in full manual to force myself to learn the settings more. You should see my memory card after I come home from taking pictures. I have anywhere between a couple and a dozen+ shots of the same thing because I keep playing with the settings :lol:.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I haven't shot in auto in years. Not even P, A, or S. I always shoot in full manual to force myself to learn the settings more.
Yeah that's what I need to start doing, it's been a long time since I've had anything other than a point and shoot.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They look fine to me :thumbs up.

I haven't shot in auto in years. Not even P, A, or S. I always shoot in full manual to force myself to learn the settings more. You should see my memory card after I come home from taking pictures. I have anywhere between a couple and a dozen+ shots of the same thing because I keep playing with the settings :lol:.
thats how i am too..then i end up editing the wrong one