that HX civic ...

panuwat

Lost Honda
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
okay hey all.. i'm looking into getting performance add-ons for my 97 Civic HX. after reading a post about supercharging, i kinda figure I wanna do that someday. but before that, i have to wonder, since there aren't many bolt ons for the HX, what would be best for me to get? parts for the LX, DX, and CX or the EX? I read that the HX has the VTEC-E, while EX is VTEC... but LX DX and CX isn't VTEC at all, I'm reading the engine codes for each car... LX's are D15B, EX's are D16Z7.. but HX is D15Z... so I'm confused whether i should be getting something made for the EX because of the VTEC.. or something for the LX .. etc because the engine code is both starting with D15... its confusing.. any HX'ers wanna help me out here?

:shock:

kgbhx44

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
HX Civic

I have a 98 HX with the D16Y5 powerplant and was told that most of add on's for the EX model will fit but I'm not about to take that advice til I get some more feedback. I figured I may be better off swapping in a whole new engine such as an LS/VTEC combo or a USDM GSR or Type R...not sure yet. If you hear anything though about alternitive options for the HX then keep me posted.

SOHCvegasman

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a 97 hx and from what i know the intake manifold is completely different to all the other civics, but on the other hand the head is the same size as the EX model (y8 i believe) and there for if you want a true vtec u can swap the heads. for the tranny, all of them are the same size, but the gearing are different. for example the EX has a closer ratio and for getting better trap times it would b a better choice. but for potental boosting, the HX tranny will allow u to reach 70 in second, 100 in third, and 125 in 4th and u still got room on 5th, but since it is an ECONOMY tranny its not ment to be pushed so hard... but im figuring all this on my own at the moment too... lol