The ever hated on d16y8

Tawine

DOPE D16Y8 inspired me. I own a 99 Ek Sedan w/ a D16Y7 engine. Was going to put the Y8 Headers I believe ... so it could at least be VTEC. Ever time I ask around, ever just says SWAP IT/ TURBO. As much as I'd love a K20 swap, I don't see that in the near future.

So I don't I feel like doing the same thing DOPE is doing, slowly building it up. I need to do some research also though ...

Was watching some videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa6RLJ7koSg&feature=plcp&context=C3e39ed0UPOEgsToPDskJ7nGLxti-YPW7JidAO7EJE

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Was going to put the Y8 Headers I believe ... so it could at least be VTEC
Are you under the assumption that headers make cars vtec?

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know its called something else, forgot what though.
vtec head, vtec solenoid, all that.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I can respect that Dope, I cant wait to see what your Y8 runs.
Tawine please google search "what is Vtec", scroll down and watch the youtube videos.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i drove my d16y7 for years until it started leaking and burning oil (i used to beat the crap out of it). so then i swapped in a B20. let me tell based on experiences with both motors i prefer the B. mainly because i noticed a HUGE torque difference with the B20, which i absolutely love. plus many will argue that a B is a better base to build off of because instead of starting off with 106-127 hp your starting off with 130-200 hp (depending on which B, H, or K you get). its almost like moving you up another bracket in a way. right now im putting out around 150 hp with my b20 and probably around 135-140 lb ft torque which is still pretty fun. i guess its just really a matter of opinion. personally i prefer more torque and you can easily acheive that with a B

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Can't wait to see what you do with it. Your goals aren't too pie in the sky as some are..

I would have kept my z6 if the previous owner knew how to do an oil change and not just add some when it was low... the sludge :(

1.7 stroke and raise the compression and from then on out it's tune and making it breath better... I wish you the best of luck and tuned in for pics/results.