"The Mothership" - 1998 Civic - Maintenance Log

conor97hx

It's happening today :rocker: Yeah, I'll probably hit up a pick-a-part or something if this doesn't work out.

Also, I just finally located the source of all of the slop in my shift linkage, it's the RR bushing that connects the shift knob to the linkage (part no 54107-SA0-010) Now to decide whether to fix it or wait and get a whole new shift linkage.. :drool:
Why not just get a new bushing set instead of a new linkage?

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Success.

In six years, since the day I learned how to drive a manual with it, this car has never sounded so good or driven so well.

I won't bullshit you, it just about brought me to tears when I let the clutch out and there was just wonderful silence.

(Related. From the movie Snow Piercer, which I didn't like, but this scene came to mind.)

Now all I can do is hope that this isn't some Pyrrhic victory, and that the transmission continues to work reliably. Only time will tell :woot:

Why not just get a new bushing set instead of a new linkage?
Because the actual pivot for the ball in the shift knob is kinda damaged, otherwise certainly just the bushing.

Last edited:

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My buddy and I were just discussing: if the craigslist transmission had been in perfect shape, then this rebuild and swap wouldn't feel nearly as gratifying :P

Yesterday I put about 100 miles of gentle shifting on the car with 10w-30 in the transmission, then drained it and filled with Honda MTF. Going to give it a few weeks of gentle driving and monitor the situation as carefully as I can. Next I want to try Synchrotech's custom blend of Torco MTF and see how that does.

Shifting is still a bit ragged (not grinding audibly, but I can feel some clacking as it meshes into gear), I'm not sure if that's just the carbon synchros still needed break-in or if I've just forgotten how a working car feels :what: Or... maybe the carbon synchros aren't contacting the full surface area of the gears because of uneven wear :shock:

I'm already interested in the next project. Wheels and brakes need attention. The suspension needs repair or replacement. Still want to chase after an engine rebuild too. Probably wheels and brakes are next while I save up for the other projects.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
New shift linkage bushings arrived Monday, I was in such a hurry to install them that I didn't take any pictures. :slap:

Also changed the engine oil while I was at it with some high-mileage synthetic blend 5w-30.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Synchrotech-Torco MTF showed up and I filled the transmission with it. Shifting still feels crunchy, but not in a bad way anymore. Third gear needs to be coaxed when shifting at speed, but I think that's not really a bad thing.

Just to make sure that I have it listed here, my break in procedure for the transmission was:
100 miles with 10w-30
500 miles with Honda MTF
and now Torco MTF

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Today was wash and wax day.

The past few years haven't been kind; the clearcoat is getting really worn out, and is chipping off of the front bumper and passenger door. I want to do something cheap to keep the exterior together for just a while longer until I'm ready for an expensive whole-car repaint.

First I plasti-dipped some trim under the driver side window.

So about 8 coats went on, and you can still see the areas where the old rubber chipped off, but overall it looks much better.

Next up was the clearcoat.

Test spot on driver side headlight. Had already chipped the edge hanging clearcoat off.

Wet sanding. You can see where the paint came off on the far side. Unfortunately I hadn't bought any matched paint, and no local stores carry it, so now I'm waiting on a shipment before continuing.

Passenger side door, the bit I'm actually worried about.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Tried to test out my paint correction technique today, didn't go so well.

Started by masking off a section of screwed-up bumper, with the intention of sanding it down to straight lines.

Once I'd sanded enough to get some nice edges to the clearcoat, I decided it'd be best to paint it like that and then try to blend in the new layer of clearcoat with light sanding later.

One layer of paint:

Second layer of paint:

Then the spray paint can took a s**t and threw out globs of paint over the bumper, me, and itself :x

So now I wait for it to dry and then come back to decided how to proceed.

Last edited:

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Once u have one coat on it and it dries to thr touch, u can scuff it with scotch brite or like 1000-2000 grit sandpaper. Then clean it again. Tack cloth it. And do another coat. If u are trying to blend it u will need to fan it out with clear so u can color sand and polish the old and new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good stuff. That's the kind of instruction I need for repairing the door.

As for the bumper, it's so pockmarked that I really don't care. I'll eventually either re-paint the entire piece or replace it. It does serve as a good testbed for trying paint+clearcoat.

I went ahead and slapped on some clearcoat just to see it.

Of course, peeling the tape off took more clearcoat with it.

First coat. Immediately worked wonders for the chipped area to the bottom right, but makes it really obvious that the Duplicolor paint is a shade lighter.

Done. It definitely doesn't look great, but I'm interested in seeing how it holds up. I can always come back later and do a nice job feathering like mymmerloss said.

It appeared to work so well that I decided to go right ahead and hit the center of the bumper with some clearcoat as well. For this I chipped off the loose clearcoat, lightly sanded, and then clearcoated. Again, I'll be keeping track of how well it lasts.

After shots:

All in all I think I learned stuff, so besides the paint-can explosion I'm happy with it.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would say just repaint the whole bumper. It wont match, but it will look like you tried harder than just patchwork. Atleast youre learning tho

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just a kinda interstitial update I guess.

Transmission is still holding. Still shifts hard, esp 3rd and 4th. Feels like the new synchros aren't getting purchase needed to slow down the gears, and then the collar collides with the gear teeth a little. I had gotten used to it, but let my older sister's boyfriend drive the car and he had a little frustration with shifting that I caught on to.

Haven't done anything else with paint. Bumper is waiting for me to find time to wetsand it and see how well I can blend the new clearcoat in. Down the road I'm going to strip the whole bumper and try painting with a paint gun instead of rattle cans.

The clearcoat on the top of the car is starting to degrade faster. Not much to do for it but keep the car clean and waxed. I will eventually have the whole car painted professionally, just not soon.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No updates on the painting, it's been a really humid summer here. As though that's an excuse or something.

I'm hunting down an issue that may not even exist with my AC. Air conditioning at highway speeds is.. eh, reasonable I guess. Air conditioning in city traffic is almost never better than having the windows down, because the AC turns warm after a few minutes and usually doesn't recover for the rest of the ride. And then some days the AC appears to refuse to turn on at all, and only warm air gets through.

Suspicions:
- AC fan is dead, leaving the condenser to bake without proper cooling.
- Pressures are off / slow leak somewhere. Totally possible, need to borrow gauges and check.
- Old Civic AC systems just don't blow cold air like newer cars I've ridden in.
- Cabin hot/cold selector is bad and letting warm air in even at the farthest "cold" setting.

I just checked the AC fan after driving in to work, and it appears to be operating. Spins up and pulls plenty of air through the condenser radiator.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Any progress on the a/c system?

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Any progress on the a/c system?
Nada :???:

My friend owns a nice set of A/C gauges, but he mailed them to another city for someone to borrow. So I'm waiting on those to return.

I also haven't done much research yet, just been trying to keep my head above the water at work and get the goldwing running.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Got some time last night to apply new clearcoat to the passenger side door, where it's been flaking off for the past year.

The goal here isn't to reverse damage or make problems go away, but to just keep the paint together for as long as possible, and then in a few years drop money on the best paint job I can get. With that in mind, I put a huge layer of clearcoat on, hoping that it'll keep the original from continuing to flake off.

Taping off:

The damage:

This morning, after drying overnight:

I'm going to let it cure all this week, and come back next weekend to try polishing and blending it.