the paint has lost color

TDL

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, hi all! i'm a very newbie here... i just got my driving license here in spain last week (but due to slow administration i am still waiting for the physic license :( ) and while i wait impatiently for my first walk on my 2nd hand '94 Civic 1.5 Coupe LSi i want to dissipate a doubt.
Ok, the paint job of the car is a little damaged... half of the car has the good red color (it was repainted about a year ago) and the other half has lost a bit of brightness and seems a bit dim and less "red" due to the sunny days it has suffered in the 8 years the car has "on its wheels". Is there any thing other than repainting that i could do to restore the color of the damaged part? maybe any polishment? or anything else?? thnx =)

Btw, excuse my english...

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
LSi? what model does that convert to in the us...
btw: welcome to the club

TDL

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thank you! hmm, i think it relates to DX coupe model on the US, but it has power sunroof from factory. It is a 1500 cc with 102 hp (LSi) and there was the ESi (125 hp, VTEC) which i suppose that related to the EX.
Btw, today finally got my driving license... tomorrow i should get the insurance and start riding it ^_^

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmmm..its all mixed up from what it is over here...our dx doesnt have a power sunroof? i dunno, either way, have fun driving!

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i dont know what to tell ya other than maybe just try a good wax, polish. Other than that, maybe just repaint it?? tho expensive, try using some buffing compounds and see what happens

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Representing the Foreign stretches of Club Civic...mad props! I would try what they said...and if worse comes to worse....primer that beast and do some mods, then spray it. In my opinion....primer looks better over a crappy paint job...least people know you doing something!

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hehe i kinda agree with 99excoupe, except the only time, to me, when primer looks like crap is when youve a body kit that is primer and a then a painted car, i cant stand it when peeps dont paint it first :P...

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i hate that it looks sooo retarded unless ur drivin to the body shop to get it painted

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Try the Mothers or Meguires 3 step detailing. Depending on how thick your clear coat is, it might restore your finish.

TDL

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
3 step detailing? never heard of it... is it a kind of polish? thanks btw... =)

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Go here, click on PAINT CARE and scroll to the bottom so you can see the 3 Phase system:

http://www.mothers.com/products/products.html

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol thats the only time it looks ok, sik_civic, but then again no one knows if your driving to the paint shop or not lol, and i think for a body kit just mount it, get everything lined up and trimmed and what not, then take it off and get it painted, then come back and put it on

Je

the white hatch
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just save up the extra cash and get the paint job, it might not be the way you want to go, but its probably going to be the best :nod:

RMiranda

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a 93 DX hb with the same problem. If you really care about making the car look nice, nothing will be able to substitute a new paint job. Just make sure you don't get a cheap paint job as to avoid the same thing in the future.

My car is also red btw.