The reason my car never gets worked on...

Left or Right?

• Left

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Right

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Left or right?
My wife likes the one on the right better... but it doesn't feel like it's got a glaze on the surface, so I'll have to seal it all once I'm finished... but it's also a rectified tile (cut square one the edges), so it'll fit together closer with a small or zero grout line... but it's also really long.. 6x36"
The left one is glazed, but it's not rectified, so it'll have to have at least a 1/4"-5/16" grout line. And the tiles are shorter, at 6x24.
10 cents per sq.ft difference on the price.

My wife decided she hated the carpet, and when I came home, she had it out of the living room, and piled up in the back yard.
So now I've got to put down 700 sq.ft. of faux wood tile in the living room, breakfast area, foyer... in addition, she wants me to repaint the walls, scrape the popcorn off the ceiling, and I'm considering refacing the fireplace while I'm at it... may as well make the biggest mess possible while there's no expensive tile on the floor yet.

Meanwhile, my headliner and interior sits in the garage, waiting to be recovered and reinstalled.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I lean towards the one on the right. Longer tighter-fitting planks means less gap space to grout so there are some savings there. Being a lighter tone means darker grout will contrast better. Lighter woods also match with more colors and shades, and im inclined to assume if your wife is impulsive enough to surprise you with ripped out carpet then she may also frequently change her mind in color schemes. Neutrality may save you from future projects. Dark panels dont look great with dark grout and light grout means more needed cleaning even if sealed. The added decision factor is the lighting in the affected areas and your taste. Dark floor lead to darker rooms which make them feel smaller.

You should ask her to work on your interior since she surprised you with a home project. LOL

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Shes got quite a list for you..

Tell her to quit watching HGTV! This flooring isnt completed in 30 mins like on the show.

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My father installs hardwood floors for a living and I've grown to hate wide flooring because of issues with cupping. However, since it's tile it might not have that problem...

regardless, I like warmer colors - so the lighter one is nicer to me. It's also easier to clean since stains are more pronounced.

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bump for an update from OP?

It all looks ugly to me. :what:

Then again, I'm making do with my floating cheap floors that came with the house.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sorry to hear about your surprise "Honey-do-list" addendum. I have a floor project of my own. Currently ripping up my laminate flooring and will be replacing with tile. I HATE ripping up laminate.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Update on the floors. It's very slow going, because my wife is picking the position of every tile, doesn't want any of the tiles lining up, doesn't want any matching patterns close to each other, and keeping 36" tiles level and smooth is tough. So far, only 11'x27'... but we've only got just a few days a week we can work on it when we're both free and either of our parents are free to watch my daughter.
probably going to lay another 2'x27' section and then grout what's there, so we can shift the furniture to the other side of the room... also have a fireplace, just outside of the picture on the other side of the room that she wants to do something decorative around with some penny tiles... go figure.

And I will be repainting the walls pure white. I hate that cornflower blue, and the brown on the other side, which you may see a little a little of in the far doorway. They've been this way since we moved in 3 years ago.... I hate neutral colors. I like bold colors. But I need a blank slate for a while first.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I really dig it! Keep up the good work