Thinking about getting a Civic again...

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Been reading up on the 2016 Honda Civic Sedan. The new design is pleasing and since I wasn't a fan of the 9th gen..I'm thinking of getting the 10th gen. I hope the CVT will be good with the 1.5 Turbo motor. I plan on doing a few things to the car (of course). My wife will be the main driver of the car since I have my FRS. Upgraded piping and bov is a must. Plans are to keep it simple and clean of course. Any one else have plans on moving towards the 10th gen?

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
do it -shrug-

i dont plan on getting any civic past a 7th gen, cause the craftsman ship and reliability are crap.

dancam

Registered VIP
I have a 7th gen and wouldn't get anything newer than a 6th gen. I dont like the 7th or 8th but havent done more than drive a 9th gen around a parking lot. Haven't been in a 10th gen though. Have you or her driven anything with a cvt? Theres a forum specifically for 10th gen civic owners that you may want to check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I worked for Honda (sales) and drove many CVT's. the 7th gen I'm not a fan of. I had an 8th gen and it was perfectly fine for me. 9th gen the looks went down hill. The 10th gen, the new look is sort of "eh" to me..I might have to just see it in person when it comes out. The CVT I'm ok with although I wish a 6 speed was offered with the turbo version. Seems like the 7th gen and newer became more of a car build for the driver (entertainment, luxury items etc.) which is not necessarily a bad thing. What I love about my FRS is how simple the car is..no useless stuff such as heated seats or cameras. It's more of a driver attentive car. That's just me though.

there won't be any 10th gen owners yet though because the car isn't for sale yet..

dancam

Registered VIP
Oh? Lol, so why is there a 10th gen civic forum? Weird.
I just saw this in the news
2014-2015 Honda Civic, 2015 Fit Recalled for CVT Issue
Approximately 143,000 vehicles affected.
via NewsFlash
http://wot.motortrend.com/2014_2015_honda_civic_2015_fit_recalled_for_cvt_issue.html

But anyway, if you worked for honda im sure you know more about the upcoming civics and what direction they are going than most of the rest of us. But if your looking for a simpler more basic car without all the gadgets im not so sure honda is the way to go. Co-worker of mine just got a 2015 hyundai elantra. Looks very very nice and not much for gadgets but still very up to date and techy looking. I would never buy one, but i wouldn't buy a new civic either, so depends what you want, but if its a new car with fewer gadgets maybe have a look around at other cars.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I guess I'd get the civic to be one of the first to modify it haha. My wife can enjoy the features. According to Mr. Google.com the 2016 is the 10th gen..not too sure.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I absolutely hate CVTs, so the idea of Turbo along with is scary and confusing. If Honda really went to work and designed the CVT with the turbo performance in mind, then I'd be intrigued, but their recent track record leads me to think otherwise. After the 6th gen. Civics, I only like the 8th gen hatchback.

dancam

Registered VIP
I absolutely hate CVTs, so the idea of Turbo along with is scary and confusing. If Honda really went to work and designed the CVT with the turbo performance in mind, then I'd be intrigued, but their recent track record leads me to think otherwise. After the 6th gen. Civics, I only like the 8th gen hatchback.
I think cvt's have the potential to be the best type of transmission there is. They are a long way from it now, but theoretically if it was user tuneable with say 10 presets (that came factory preset but you could change) then you could hit a button, stick your foot on the floor and the rpm's would stay at the peak hp or peak torque range and you would have the ultimate quarter mile. You could set it for maximum fuel efficiency, so it would raise and lower rpm's on its own to match a pre-determined vacuum reading. And so on. If you could program a cvt yourself the possibilities are endless. But, they seem quite unreliable and not especially efficient so far. The more people that buy them the better the technology will get though! However things are heaving away from user control, not towards, so my hopes are in vain anyway.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I agree that the potential is there but its quite far away if at all realized. Unless an automaker decides to design one solely for performance purposes, I simply dont see any as worth the purchase especially with the high cost of repair & parts availability.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
True, the CVT probably wouldn't be the best transmission for a turbo motor since there are no real gears. I wish the transmission would be sort of like the automatic FRS and GTR's in comparison where the transmission can switch gears faster than you can. I'm sure Honda put a CVT transmission in for fuel economy since that's what they are targeting even for the turbo version of the 2016 Civic (40+ claims) . Power numbers are sort of weak when it comes to hp/tq numbers too, 137/191 (estimated). The only other automatic transmission Honda offers right now on all of their cars are a 6 speed automatic and a 9 speed automatic. It's like Honda focused more on fuel economy and it being a daily driver than being a sporty car. The more I see the car the more I like it because of what I want to do to it, such as cover up the inner taillights on the trunk. The wheel to car ratio seems off but I don't plan on keeping the OEM wheels anyway. The turbo version comes on the EX-T, EX-L, and the new to Civic, Touring trims. I'll probably go for the EX-T since I don't care for the Leather in the EX-L.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've moved this over to the 10th gen section. Since it's not very populated yet, I left the redirect in OT. :thumbs up

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
New information has been given and I'm excited about the 10th gen. I have been in talks with my friend to get the modded as soon as I pick it up. We'll be doing some R&D on charge piping and getting more hp and tq to the wheels. The features that come standard on the new Civic gets a big :thumbup: