This is a challenge for you Civ GURUS!!!

CiviKid

Post Whoralicious
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anyone know how to make an ecu to serial cable for my laptop? or where i can get one cheap?!

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you gonna hack your ecu?

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
unless you can write your own code, and you can crack the civic ecu language, your not going to be able to do anything. what exactly are you trying to do by cracking into your ecu anyways?

CiviKid

Post Whoralicious
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i hace a program that monitors fuel and air and stuff its sorta like one of those lil computers you put in to tell you your est. hp and monitors your fuel....i just dont have any way of connecting this laptop to the computer of the car

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
why dont you just get an a/f ratio gauge? they dont cost very much and you can get the readout all the time. unless you plan to be paul walker and drive down the highway staring at a laptop,or monitoring the a/f ratio in your driveway, the gauge is a better way to go.

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol and who wants to be like paul walker =)....i actually know someone who has a setup like that in his car....hes a laptop mounted in his car, where he can adjust his computer settings, and read all the info, if you can get it to work, i think its pretty kewl, but i dont think id go hacking around into the ecu....if you dont know how to make the cable, the chances of you knowing what to do once in are very slim, and only bad stuff will happen from there

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Originally posted by "BioHazard"

lol and who wants to be like paul walker =)....i actually know someone who has a setup like that in his car....hes a laptop mounted in his car, where he can adjust his computer settings, and read all the info, if you can get it to work, i think its pretty kewl, but i dont think id go hacking around into the ecu....if you dont know how to make the cable, the chances of you knowing what to do once in are very slim, and only bad stuff will happen from there
im sure its cool, but i mean seems really pointless to me to know crap about your car when its sitting in your driveway. a good set of gauges tells you everything you need to know when your on the road and it matters. and like he said, going hacking around your ecu will give you zero gains, but will almost certainly f**k up your ecu. just dont do it.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The good thing about having a laptop connection to the ecu (standalone) is that you can look at many different aspects of the car in real time. Of course this isn't feasible to do on the road (unless you let a friend drive), but on a dyno you can see exactly what is happening in real time.
Also, most engine management systems will log the data for a pass down the track (or lap or whatever) and you can hook the laptop up and look at what the car was doing when you made the pass.
Of course this doesn't sound as if it applies in this situation.
Also, those a/f gauges suck. If you really want to know a/f go wideband =)

thriceidentity

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you can chip your ecu with a code u can use turbo edit to modify the code burn it on an eprom install it, make sure you activate the CN2 or CN3 for obd0 and then you need a converter because the braud rate of the hondas serial conection( yes honda implemented a serial conector). so basicaly you can have onboad diagnostics it just takes alot of reading balls to stick in moded code and money......www.pgmfi.org is your source of wisdom

Ravage70

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes u can connect a serial port to ur ecu
homemadeturbo.com then go to the engine managment section its a sticky at the top
also u can use ur laptop to burn the chip while its still in the ecu, hence u have realtime tuning and coupled with a wideband u have excelent fuel management, especially for turbo