Timing Belt change time :D

postal21

vroom vroom
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Time to change the timing-belt and waterpump before I spend money on my shocks and rims...

You guys figure its cheaper for me to get these parts online then have the mechanic put them on? Im at 101,000 miles, So im assuming they are pretty "shot" my engine has been a lot louder as of recently, so im nervous. Going to have them check it out before I order anything, but Im all about saving as much money as possible for these parts so they dont charge me an arm and a leg.

Im sure the labor alone will cost me 100-150-200 bucks right?

manu

5+ Year Member
hope this helps

The parts are pretty cheap as compared to the labor... for the actual belt and the water pump you would want to stick to honda parts, because you want them to last another 90,000 miles. Its the labor which costs the mjority for the civic timing belt change because there is a lot of work involved... they have to unmount the engine from your car and do all worts of stuff.... Since the labor will still cost you it is worth just buying honda parts to have a peace of mind. Oh and I might be wrong but I think the parts are ~$100 and the labor is like ~$300-450 depending on where you go to $450 being at the dealership .... again thats dependant on where you are..

postal21

vroom vroom
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn, so 550 bucks total... not really wanting to spend that much cash.

it WILL kill my engine if I wait til it goes right?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
postal21 said:

Pretty much. Just save up and get it done right the first time, that way your not spending more money to fix something that either A)goes wrong if not done properly or B)waiting untl the belt breaks and your engine is pretty much toast.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
postal21 said:

$550 total is cheap compared to the $1800 they'd charge you for a new engine, and the $700 they'd charge you to put it in....

Pay now, save later.....
IF you are mechanically inclinded and have the tools, it's fairly easy to do it yourself.. just time consuming. BUT IF YOU ARE NOT MECHANICALLY INCLINED... DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT IT! You pay a whole lot more for people to fix your mistakes than you pay for someone to replace your timing belt and water pump.

manu

5+ Year Member
You could DIY it over a weekend and pay only for parts. + hanes manual ($20) + honda manual (free here look at sticky)