timing belt problems

STEV0

i got a 1993 1.5 lsi with d15b2 i replaced the timing belt but i couldnt get the belt tight on the side with out the tensioner with out the cam bein like a tooth off the timing mark. but when i removed the old belt it was in the same place as now. is there some way i can lock the cam so i can undo the cam pulley so i can get it on the mark :???:

this is fun

i got a 1993 1.5 lsi with d15b2 i replaced the timing belt but i couldnt get the belt tight on the side with out the tensioner with out the cam bein like a tooth off the timing mark. but when i removed the old belt it was in the same place as now. is there some way i can lock the cam so i can undo the cam pulley so i can get it on the mark :???:
leave ur cam sets set undo the cam gear bolt put a screw driver through the cam gear then undo the bolt pull the pully off and turn then lock down with the bolt

STEV0

thanks ill give it it ago 2moz, not to fussed because it runs fine jus rather it be spot on

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if your timing belt is off by one tooth, the only way to get it right is to move the belt one tooth - you can't rotate the gear on the camshaft - if you have a cast gear, the gear is mated to the cam with a Woodruff key that fits into a groove in both the cam and the gear - if you have a stamped gear, like the one below, the gear has a tab that fits into the groove on the camshaft

STEV0

i timmed it up so it was bang on the marks and it ran like a bag of s**t. so i put it back to a tooth out and it runs fine. i think the guy who had the car before me had fucked about with saink

VigLink badge