timing problem

willskillz805

5+ Year Member
ok so about a week ago i changed the distributor rotor and cap. well for some reason my dumbass took the distributor off and when i put it back on i didnt know i had to re time it. well my question to you guys is to which spark plug wire should the rotor be facing when the timing marks are lined up and the UP on the cam is facing up? and how would you adjust the rotor to face the correct one? thanks

si-hatch86

undesputed slowhatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if its all at tdc you rotor should face bottom left for cyl. 1

edit: pic for referenfe on where cyl. 1 is on cap

willskillz805

5+ Year Member
so how do i know if cyl 1 is at tdc? is there a way to tell with the valve cover off?? and how do i go about changing the rotors position if not?

si-hatch86

undesputed slowhatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
pull spark plug and stick something thin and straight in there till piston 1 is at its highest point, then make sure the head is at tdc also(all marks are up or tdc markings) remove dizzy and place rotor to face sparking point for cylinder 1 re install dizzy(cap and everything else). this is the process i always use to get mine on time to start it up

eg.ob

5+ Year Member
the rotor will only go on one way, and you do not have to put number 1 to tdc to do the ignition timing, only the cam timing

si-hatch86

undesputed slowhatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the rotor will only go on one way, and you do not have to put number 1 to tdc to do the ignition timing, only the cam timing
i have personally had a dizzy go on 180* off, and how can you get it at tdc wen the bottom end isnt up and only the head is at tdc? both need to be at tdc to be at correct time

willskillz805

5+ Year Member
ok so i removed the dizzy due to some problems, and put it back on and now i'm flashing codes 4 and 16. main relay problem maybe?? i've been reading that the main realy goes out alot due to bad connections

si-hatch86

undesputed slowhatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so i removed the dizzy due to some problems, and put it back on and now i'm flashing codes 4 and 16. main relay problem maybe?? i've been reading that the main realy goes out alot due to bad connections
code 4 is cpk the only real way to fix this that i know of is to run a diff dizzy, code 16 is fuel system usually when a injector is unplugged or not plugged in right. but you could check the main relay and see if its priming or not

willskillz805

5+ Year Member
yea the main relay is priming but i think i just had some wires loose inside of the dizzy. i ran it pretty hard down the street and no code yet and let it sit idling for about 15 more mins. i have that stupid jumping idle thing goin on and i think thats why it stalls and throws the code. it only throws the code after it stalls. so i am assuming thats the problem

eg.ob

5+ Year Member
i have personally had a dizzy go on 180* off, and how can you get it at tdc wen the bottom end isnt up and only the head is at tdc? both need to be at tdc to be at correct time
Ok, and i bet your car ran like s**t when it was 180 out, didn't it? all i am saying is that to time your car ignition wise, you don't need to put anything at TDC or line up any marks.. the dizzzy is a 50% shot it will run right or it wont. if it dont run right your firing order is wrong or your dizzy is out 180.