Tips on safely removing aftermarket distributor rotor 98 Civic EX

mco

I have a 1998 Civic EX for which I'd like to replace the distributor rotor (with a Honda distributor rotor that has a set screw).

I removed the distributor cap only to discover that it appears that some sort of aftermarket distributor rotor is currently installed. It has no set screw apparent on it anywhere. (I did turn over the engine a few times to check every side of the rotor for the set screw and had a friend who is car maintenance savvy check as well.)

Pulling on the distributor rotor with my hands doesn't budge it at all.
I searched the forums, but didn't see much advice about how to remove a distributor rotor without damaging the distributor, aside from don't use a screwdriver to pry it off.

Has anyone found any successful tips/techniques for removing one of these aftermarket distributor rotors that doesn't have a set screw?

Thanks in advance!

710times

Good luck. Had that same problem with mine. Ended up buying a new distributor from Autozone. The new one has the same style of rotor. On the new one it just slides on and off easily.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

mco

Grab the rotor with pliers to pull it off. Don't worry about breaking the rotor as you will replace it anyway.

Then buy and install an OEM rotor.
Thanks for the tip! I already have the OEM rotor in hand and will give it a try.

Drakon543

I've had to do that in the past with other vehicles. I don't know what one looks like off hand to know how much room is inside the dizzy. However I've also used a hefty pair of channel locks and grabbed the rotor offset and squeezed until I crushed the plastic rotor. Then just remove the pieces.

wingerr

Do not try prying using any of the convenient parts on the side. If it's seized from corrosion, it's basically welded on now. Take a Dremel tool or equivalent, and use a cutoff wheel to cut a slot on the metal insert of the rotor after you break away all the nylon surrounding it. Don't cut so far that you hit the distributor shaft, but enough to use a flat blade screwdriver to pry it open. Then it's just going to easily lift off.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

wingerr

OEM rotor is also designed with the unnecessary metal insert, which was what gets seized on from the years of sitting in there. Because the Honda was so reliable, no maintenance was done on it, allowing it to seize, since the factory chose not to put any kind on anti seize lubricant on the interface. I'd suggest using some with the replacement to avoid this in the future.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk