Tire numbers...

bluedeception87

Clueless
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What do those tire numbers stand for? Example: "205/40/17"

I know what the last number stands for (the wheel size), but I don't know what the first two stand for.

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
The first number is the width of the tire (section), the second number is the aspect ratio (profile), and the third number is the wheel diameter (rim size).

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types.

Zero Offset
The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive
The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative
The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
pretty much a higher offset (45mm compare to a 40mm) will have the rim tuck more. a lower offset (40mm) will stick out more.

curveit

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What do those tire numbers stand for? Example: "205/40/17"
To Simplify: 205/40/17 = Width/Thickness/Height (The higher the number, the bigger each gets)

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
brought this one back from the dead, didn't you?

to be accurate, it would be width across - sidewall height - inner diameter

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
EVERYONE at my job insisted to me that the middle number meant width of the tire from one side to the other. i even lost a bet over this because i thought i was wrong, but now i know that they r wrong. i want my friggin 50 cents back damnit!

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
everyone at your job must be old then... back then... 50 series 60 series... were all widths...i think the higher the number the skinnier the tire got.... so in a sense they were right... just not in the right era.... my pop and i always have this arguement about tires too...

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yup, they r a buncha old guys, but not real old. lots of mustang and camaro driving bastards. no offense to any of you mustang and camaro driving bastards on here tho. :thumbs up: :P just messin.

and that's exaclty what they said. the higher the number, the skinnier the tire. this will help in my arguement. not that they'll believe me though. fukkin bastards!

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this is what you do... get a meter stick, and 2 different size tires... say 195/55/14 and a 205/40/17
measure each dimension in mm right in front of them and tell them to kiss your ass.... lol times are changing... my dad now believes me because of that...