Tires and Full Exhaust System Upgrades to increase MPG Question 2010 CIVIC lx

strikes

Hi All,

I'm a big amateur when it comes to cars, more a computer guy ;)

I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, I would like some advice on to which tires are going to give me the best MPG on my stock rims. I live in Dallas, we get some ice on the roads at least once or twice a year. I'm looking for the best all around tires that would yield the most MPG.

Additionally, is there a full exhaust system for my car that is specifically designed for boosting MPG? I'm not into all of the loud stuff by any means, something quiet but much better than stock.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
As far as one brand of tire being more fuel efficient than another, I doubt there is credible information anywhere to help you. There is some basic knowledge that can go a long way though. Keep your tire pressure in check. I keep a bicycle pump in my trunk so that it's quick and easy to top off the air in my tires. You could also have them nitro filled by a shop which typically performs better than air.

High performance tires generally have more traction than all-season tires due to the composition of the rubber. That traction also causes extra rolling friction, which your motor must overcome. It's not much more, but over the life of the tire it could be significant in fuel cost.

Aftermarket exhaust systems are built to decrease exhaust pressure, thus increasing airflow which should boost performance. On a stock civic engine, however, the performance gains are pretty minimal simply because the displacement of the engine is small. I've never heard of an aftermarket system specifically geared to boost MPG's, but that's not to say they don't help a little.

Something that is often overlooked by people that throw expensive bolt-on modifications on the cars is the fuel system. The manufacturer created a fuel map to match virtually any climate or condition that the car may be driven in. This means the fuel to air ratio is slightly on the rich side to prevent any sort of chance of leaning out the ratio causing detonation in the cylinders. What you can do is invest in a tuneable/programmable engine computer, and wide-band oxygen sensor, and take the car to a performance shop that has a dyno (and a reputable dyno tuner). There they can determine a more efficient fuel/air ratio for your motor which will not only boost your gas mileage, but also your horsepower and torque. Be sure to talk to the shop mechanics before buying in a fuel management system so you can pick one they are experienced with working with and they recommend.

strikes

Thank you for all the information Billy. It is great information and gives me some perspective on things. I'm definitely all about efficiency over power. I feel like I have the basics down, driving right, keeping the tires aired up, changing plugs, and all regular maintenance. My car runs great, and has run about the same since I drove it off the lot. I do have another question.

I've seen conflicting data on both sides of this argument. Will a cold air intake give me better MPG than the stock intake? I have heard that stock is best for efficiency and at the same time I have heard that an aftermarket intake would be better. Then I have heard that an aftermarket intake can even hinder mpg. Finally, I have heard it's not worth getting an aftermarket intake if you don't have an aftermarket full exhaust system. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
A cold air intake follows the same basic principles as the aftermarket exhaust. Small engine has low airflow so it sees little in performance gains or mileage increases. Your best bet is just to replace the stock paper air filter with a name brand performance filter and leave it at that.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Keep stock intake change to k&n drop in filter. Keep receipt. You want ore mpg on a car that is made for mpg. Leave it stock and keep up with with the owners manual tells you

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A cold air intake follows the same basic principles as the aftermarket exhaust. Small engine has low airflow so it sees little in performance gains or mileage increases. Your best bet is just to replace the stock paper air filter with a name brand performance filter and leave it at that.
Agreed. Only a significantly internally modified engine would truly benefit from a Cold Air Intake. Consider a CAI like a straw and the engine like your lungs. Using a 1-inch wide straw to drink a beverage doesnt mean you'll be able to drink any better.

Good to know. I currently use a K&N, thanks for the additional info!
A K&N drop-in filter is the best air intake option for a stock motor.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lowering a car can help gas mileage as well.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
None of the things like exhaust or lowering are really cost-effective when it comes to mpg, they are expensive parts for minimal change. Proper maintenance and efficient driving are the best things you can do.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
be careful of the k&n drop in filters, few 8th gen owners have experienced the maf sensor throwing a code because of the oils

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Most oiled filters will make you throw a code

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Im glad others chimed into the thread, because my opinion is only 1 opinion. I had no idea oiled filters can cause a CEL on 8th gens, so OP maybe look into a dry-flo filter :thumbs up

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No cel on mine *shrug*
We see it constantly here at work. Porsche sensors HATE k&n filters.

Also happened on my sport bike. Only 2400 miles on it any it has a CEL for the air intake sensor. Previous owner said it came on shortly after the filter was "upgraded".

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A proper cold air intake with a better flowing exhaust could still help boost you 1 or 2 mpg or so as long as it is properly tuned for doing so. Just use an average diameter pipe for the intake like 2.5" or something like that. Realistically it would probably be more cost effective to keep the car stock and just keep it well maintained though. A tune, proper intake and exhaust is probably going to run $500+ if you want to do it all right and have it professionally done. And it just wouldn't be worth it for what it sounds like you want I believe

strikes

I shall keep it stock then! I have been using the K&N for a few oil changes now, haven't had any issues so far. I keep my car well maintained. I guess I just had this fantasy of getting it up to 40MPG from the rated 34 (which I actually get) I appreciate all of the input, really helps me understand a lot.