Toggle Switch?

memorex

2004 Civic Hopefull
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey guys,

I just hooked up some mini neons for under my dashboard, and I planned to put them on a toggle switch. Anyways I looked at the pop-out peices next to the emergency brake as a place to put in my toggle switches. Anyways the switch that I bought was not big enough to hold the switch because the plastic behind it would have to be cut out and there would be no way the switch would stay in the console. Is there any way I can still do this? Different switches I could buy? Any help would be greatly apperciated.

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
I put my amp toggle switch in the little trash flip up storage area to the left of my steering wheel. I would say find an alternative space, or look for some different switches. Home depot and radion shack have a bunch.

memorex

2004 Civic Hopefull
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was just looking at the Cars of the month and member "The Civic" has exactly what I wanted? Anyway I can contact him or know if anyone can find out what type of switch he has?

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
just pm him and ask :thumbs up:

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
with neons i jsut hooked it up to my headlights. so when i turn on my headlights the neon would come on automatically, so no need for a switch. i thought this be easier and "cooler"

M706

somethingmorethannothing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "sik_civic"

wudnt it drain ur battery faster?
and how do you hook up something to a toggle switch anyway...i'm interested in this as well.

The Civic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here's a drawing of the switch that I have in my car for the neons that used to be in there. Most lighted switches will be very similar to this. You'll have to excuse the crappy MSpaint drawing though, it's all I have to work with at the moment.

Here's a couple ways that it can be hooked up:

If you want to put the switch on the 12V source voltage
Input - any 12V source in the car (lighter wiring works well for this)
Light contact- to any ground
Output - to positive input on neons

If you want to put the switch on the ground lead
Input - Any ground in the car
Light contact - Any constant 12V source (the lighter will not work for this if you want the neons on with the car off)
Output - to ground lead on your neons

Till L8er,
Ken

knockoff

you can call me ABE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
sweet diagram ken...... very high tech :-)....

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
even simpler than that diagram would be a basic two-position circuit breaker switch...... just connect the lights to a constant power source (that would be your battery) and splice the on/off switch into the power wire...... put it anywhere convenient and voila!..... instant neon.

when the switch is on you have a closed circuit, and when you flip it to "off" it breaks the circuit so yout neons don't get power...... i also had my amp hooked up this way......

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why would it drain the battery? your alternator charge it up when the car is running right? unless you leave your headlights on which will drain the battery with or without the neons. i just thought a switch was a pain in the butt that's all. me lazy