Top Dead Center

1SLOEG8

I piss on fender gap.
5+ Year Member
hey everyone this is shannon, this is my boyfriends' user name...

just wondering what Top dead center is and how do i adjust for it-- the head blew on my 93 civic lx and we have no clue how to do it. we have a hayne's manual but i guess i just don't understand it really...any help would be great k thank you in advance~!

King Bob

The life'o Riley
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TDC refers to the position of a pistion when all the way at the top of its stroke.

93turbo16

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
King Bob said:
TDC refers to the position of a pistion when all the way at the top of its stroke.
To find top dead center of the motor. This is a very simple way to do it. Take the spark plug out of the number 1 cylinder hole. Stick A LONG extension or rod down the hole and turn the motor over untill the rod pushes up to its peak, then starts coming back down. At that peak is where number 1 is at TDC.

But since piston 1 and 4 come up at the same time, the only "true" way to find TDC is to take the crank pulley off and check the mark on the oil pump gear with the oil pump housing. This will tell you exactly where TDC for the number 1 piston is.

Or you could look at your cam gear when you have the Extension in the number one spark plug hole, and see if the cam gear lines up with TDC for the cam gear, if its 180 degrees out on the cam gear, then that means you are at TDC for number for as far as ignition an cam phasing is concerned.

hope this helps a little.

WalterRonny

Amante de los EG's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

the firs and the last piston are in TDC and the second and third are in BTC ;).

i hope help..

King Bob

The life'o Riley
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
WalterRonny said:

the firs and the last piston are in TDC and the second and third are in BTC ;).

i hope help..
dont ya mean "BDC" :lol:

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
but theres TDC on the exhaust stroke ad on the intake stroke. dont try to set on the exhaust stroke or it wil bet out and it wont start. its not gonna cause any damage but its just not gonna start. you need TDC on the intake stroke.that means when the #1 piston is at the top. all valves in the #1 cylinder are closed. and make sure the intake valves were the last to close.

1SLOEG8

I piss on fender gap.
5+ Year Member
thanks everyone! we decided to buy a rebuilt head which we just ordered from a local machine shop that rebuilds Z6 heads a lot and our friend got one from them and said they were great. Ours is a B7 motor, but D series all the same so w're hoping they won't eff us over.