Top Hat Recommendation Please!!!

1999EM1

I have stock top hats with my coilovers and it's TERRIBLE. Can someone direct me to some aftermarket brand? I'm too low to still be using my factory top hats. Thanks.

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What kind of coliovers do you have?

1999EM1

Progress CS-II. When the road is smoothe, the ride is excellent, and I can take speed bumps fine but dips and potholes make my car clunk and thump like crazy. I want extended top hats. Reccomendation? My fender is tucking tire.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
This is the wrong section.

But Ground Control extended top hats are a very popular choice.

1999EM1

(Sorry about posting in wrong sec.) It says it only works with GC Coilovers. Or can they work with all Coilover brands?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I thought they worked with any coilover but I could be mistaken. I'm not sure.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ground Control top hats are good but since you have Progress coilovers, they may not work. Reason is because of the shaft diameter. The shaft from the Progress coilovers may not fit properly in the top hat bushings that Ground Control provides. Ground Control makes their products fit for specific applications (listed on their site) and Progress isn't one of them. And I'd stay away from any extended top hats on eBay...

Did you cut you bump stops at all? Progress coilovers aren't meant to go very low. Your best option is to raise the car a bit.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ground Control says "Only fits Ground Control" but GC doesn't make shocks.. I think they mean only fits the kits the sleeves are designed for. I.E.: Koni yellow, Koni STR.T, Tokico, KYB, KYB AGX, Bilstein and stock. The shaft of w/e shock it is has to fit through the bushings in the top hat. I THINK Progress uses a rather large diameter shaft so it's unlikely it'll work.

1999EM1

I raised it 4 times since installation. I'm not trying to raise them anymore. When I'm driving on smooth roads, the ride is excellent. I absolutely love it. When the roads are rough, it's not so great but bearable. Potholes absolutely **** up my car. All I hear is a loud clank/thump sound, even when going 20 MPH in a 35, which is not good in itself. Some roads are unavoidable.

My friend's Skunk2s ride soooo much better than my Progress but he has aftermarket top hats and LCA.

I just want top hats that will stop me from slamming my car in potholes.

1999EM1

:/

I'm frustrated. Thinking about just going for those eBay top hats because apparently no on makes top hats for Progress CS-IIs. The manual that came with the coilovers said it was fine and safe to adjust from anywhere from 1" to 3" and the eBay top hats say they're good for 1" to 3" drops. I think I'm like 2.75 front and 2.50 in the rear.

Kalindian

New Civic Here!
Progress CS-II's arean't really good for such a severe drop. They even say not to go to much further than a 2" drop. i just ordered a set, But maybe you should reconsider raising your civic until you can get more suitable Coilovers for how low you want to go?

1999EM1

Will I be able to drop my car the same amount with the FF's and avoid clanking it on the roads?

JGvtec

The names Jordan
Just red over this and was looking for some tops hats. Im lowering on tein springs which is like 2in all around. The shocks are all fine and new. I was debating getting extended top hats for the front and rear because i hear it helps out with the roads and will lower the car a bit more.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just red over this and was looking for some tops hats. Im lowering on tein springs which is like 2in all around. The shocks are all fine and new. I was debating getting extended top hats for the front and rear because i hear it helps out with the roads and will lower the car a bit more.
Extended top hats do NOT lower the car AT ALL. They simply allow for more travel in the shaft of your shocks for when you are significantly low. You shouldn't need extended top hats with Tein lowering springs. Save your money for something else.