Topping off transmission fluid after cv axle replacement question

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just changed the passenger side cv axle on a d16y8 manual transmission and a good amount of fluid came out.

My question, when topping off will more fluid come out of the fill hole when I undo it? If so is there a way to prevent it?

Also curious why some cars don’t leak any fluid out when the axles are removed while others do?

alex98

Just changed the passenger side cv axle on a d16y8 manual transmission and a good amount of fluid came out.

My question, when topping off will more fluid come out of the fill hole when I undo it? If so is there a way to prevent it?

Also curious why some cars don’t leak any fluid out when the axles are removed while others do?
You shouldn't have anything coming out of the fill hole when you remove the plug. For the other issue, I believe it depends on how you have the car jacked up. If you do one side at a time, the fluid should pool up on the opposite side of where you're working. I think if you have the whole front end lifted, the fluid will come out regardless of what side you're working on. If you planned on replacing fluid anyways, just drain it from the drain plug first.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You shouldn't have anything coming out of the fill hole when you remove the plug. For the other issue, I believe it depends on how you have the car jacked up. If you do one side at a time, the fluid should pool up on the opposite side of where you're working. I think if you have the whole front end lifted, the fluid will come out regardless of what side you're working on. If you planned on replacing fluid anyways, just drain it from the drain plug first.
I actually did only have the side I was working on lifted up but still fluid came out. Not sure if it was overfilled or what.

Does the car have to be fully level when filling it? Might have to lift it up to loosen the fill plug, drop it down on all four tires to fill it