Tossing the idea around about trading my car for this

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Came across this Del sol today.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/2715273636.html

He's listed it for $3000 or to trade. He wants a back seat. I was thinking about maybe seeing if he trade for mine. He says its all stock except for coilovers and the rotas. Maybe I could trade ej8 for some money and his car. LIke the idea of a b16... He says it has about 150,000 miles but it doesn't have the original cluster so there is no way to know. Any thoughts?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Do a compression and leak down test and drive it around the block. See if he'll let your mechanic take a look at it. Inspect the fluids, look underneath the car, etc. If it's solid, then $3000 isn't that bad. It looks insanely clena. The red in the engine bay actually looks red. There isn't oil and grime thrown about.

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol well he said he'll take my car. He's being a little weird about the details. Think i'm gonna pass..

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Alright he filled me in on some details. has new tires, new skunk 2 coilovers, new speakers, new belts (i.e timing), new ac compressor. About 160,000 on engine. he said the cluster broke so he replaced it with a different one. he said he wants more room cause he has kids. so I'm thinking about having a mechanic look at it. idk about doing a compression test. I've never done one before. Don't I need a part to check the compression?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
A compression gauge. All you do is pull your fuel pump fuse (to keep the car from starting), remove the spark plug wire and spark plug, thread in the compression tester, and have someone crank the car for 3-5 seconds with the gas pedal all the way down. Note the number then repeat for the remaining 3 cylinders. The thing you want to watch for is the gauge to stop. It will start off low then slowly climb, once it peaks, record that number.

Last edited:

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks John! Is there a place that will tell me what the compression should be?

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
NO! del sols are a pos. they leak. they are loud, they are slow and heavy. i just got rid of one. worst car iv EVER had

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've read it varies from motor to motor. I've read people getting 200+ results on stock d-series. My stock Y8 with like 215k at the time got around 160-170 across the board.

The numbers aren't as important as the variance. There shouldn't be more than like a 10-15% difference or so between them all. I've read it shouldn't be more than 5%. Just as long as they're not really off basically. Like 175, 170, 173, 177 would be fine. But 169, 180, 140, 160 may indicate something is wrong (random example).

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ill kick you in the f**king face if u trade for that s**t

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i wouldnt go through with it. for the sole reason that the guy spelt it "vtech" in the ad

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah I think I'm gonna pass on it. I know what I got with my civic, I don't know what i'm getting into with that. the paint is fading and it looks like it must leak cause he's got some towels chillin in there

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah I think I'm gonna pass on it. I know what I got with my civic, I don't know what i'm getting into with that. the paint is fading and it looks like it must leak cause he's got some towels chillin in there
haha that would make for a pretty funny convo:
-"hey man you get that del sol?"
-"nah"
-"why not?"
-"DUDE THERE WAS TOWELS CHILLIN THERE!"

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Del Sol's are cool little cars. I like em but I don't think I could ever own one. There's a local guy that would put 95% of the cars on here to shame ;).

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
haha that would make for a pretty funny convo:
-"hey man you get that del sol?"
-"nah"
-"why not?"
-"DUDE THERE WAS TOWELS CHILLIN THERE!"
hahaha! my friend asked me if I was gonna go look at it and that is exactly what I told him.

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
and then it would continue:
-"so?"
-"ARE YOU CRAZY??! the towels, man THE TOWWEELLLLSSS!"

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
I would have done it, then found a nice clean coupe of hatch and swapped it all over, drop a 100 dollar d series in it and sell it as a dumb clean running shell

but I love to dream