Totally confused: DX v CX mpg

scoutshouse

I've had three hatchbacks and may be ready for a fourth. I'm having a problem figuring out which whether to buy a CX or DX. I always track my mileage and was spoiled by my first 1990 Manual/no AC, which got 36 to 42mpg - in San Francisco!

The second was a DX Auto/AC and got less - I can't remember exactly the mpg.

My third was a 2000 Auto/AC and got around 28mpg, which I was never happy with. For the life of me I can't remember if it was CX or Dx. It was a nice looking car we bought on the fly and it was a done deal. I looked back over the sales papers and it does not say which.

I always thought it was the automatic transmission that was making such a big difference, but some report that a DX with auto trans gets over 35mpg.

SO: I keep combing the sites/specs/reviews and still don't have a clear idea which model to look for. A lot of sites like Fuelly don't specify which model is being recorded or whether is is a Manual or Auto trans. Some manufacturer comparsions say they are exactly the same.

I am looking for a stock car and am fine with a manual trans. if that makes a significant difference. I am looking at 5 - 6 generation cars. (I did hear one negative thing about later 6th gen. - more functions were reported thru the computer system, raising the risk of flunking smog for unrelated issues - at least that's how I understood it.)

I don't want a VX, but I still want to get the most insane mileage I can get. Advice, please. I haven't had a car for almost a year and this should be fun, but turning into a chore without the proper information.

Thanks so much!

scoutshouse

Talkin' to myself here...

Ouch...

I'm assuming since this is not a modification question, it's not of too much interest here. But if anyone knows where I can find the data I'm looking for, it really would help me out.

I've had great luck with all three of my hatchbacks, and would like to get the best MPG I can.

Thanks!

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Honestly, it depends on how you drive and how well the engine has been maintained. My friend saw 40+mpg in his 99 EX. If you're on the highway most of the time with no hills, you should easily see 35-40+. If you're in stop and go traffic and have to climb up and down more often than not, expect to see less.

There are some days I see 36-37mpg and other days I see 29-30mpg. It's completely dependent on the driving style and driver him/herself. I have a 99 ex with 224k miles.

alex_n/a

stocker
I just saw the info you needed not too long ago, maybe a week ago. I'll hunt it down. and my rx7 would get 10mpg city. so anything over 20mpg is awesome for me lol

scoutshouse

Talkin' to myself here...

Ouch...

I'm assuming since this is not a modification question, it's not of too much interest here. But if anyone knows where I can find the data I'm looking for, it really would help me out.

I've had great luck with all three of my hatchbacks, and would like to get the best MPG I can.

Thanks!

alex_n/a

stocker
maybe this link will help
http://www.carsdirect.com/1996/honda/civic/specs

and I agree with John. its mostly about the way you drive. and the road condition. auto does waste more gas then manual transmissions as a general rule. but if you are reving up and down the road then expect to see less. each trim level is pretty close together so I wouldn't worry too much. just make sure it is running well or else you won't be getting the mpg you should be getting.

scoutshouse

Sorry 'bout that dupe...

I never saw over 31 on my last hatchback automatic and that was on one long trip. Typically got around 27-28. Nothing like the mileage I got on my original.

I found this on msn which shows a comparison between cx and dx on a '94 manual HB. (I don't really know what an EK or EG actually means in terms of mileage or trim)

http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/default.aspx?mode=trims&modelid=1320&ref=vip

Other tables I found say they are exactly the same. One guy says he gets 34 average with an automatic DX.

Fuelly reports don't specify whether they are using a manual or automatic, which is not too helpful.

The CX came standard with automatic - manual, AC and PS were optional. I notice a lot of them do not have AC or PS.

I'm going to keep looking for a DX 5-speed. So, thanks you guys! If there are any more opinions out there I'd like to hear them... OR! any opinions on year or generation.