Tranny acting weird!!!

dabz1981

5+ Year Member
alright.. i got an 04 civic SI, 52k miles.. for some reason everytime I shift from 3rd to 4th it grinds.. loudly. kinda like when you try to shift without steping on the clutch. The only way it wont do it is when you step on the clutch, let the engile go down to idle, then shift.. also, when the car is still cold. is it the clutch? synchronizer? tranny dying? Also..... there's a loud whistle on 5th gear, sounds like its coming from the intake (lower left hand side) or obviously the tranny.. it sounds kinda cool but im not sure it should be there...

The engine is stock.. AEM cold air intake, aerospeed lowering springs, full catback exaust system (headers)...

any thoughts?? ideas?

Last edited:

civic98turbo

I'm back ....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
be honest....you miss 4th gear alot

JDM melbatoast

That's what she said..
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
get your tranny rebuilt, i dont think its your clutch cause its only happening in certain gears

dabz1981

5+ Year Member
NO, i dont miss 4th.. but i did buy the car when it had 32k miles used... and I already had to change the clutch on it 3 months after I got it .. (still under warranty but of course honda said it was wear & tear) just to find out who ever owen it before RAPED the clutch before .. so it's the 3rd clutch it has, and that's not good for a 2004 honda with less than 60k miles.. I am thinkin about just having it rebuilt though... or upgrade the tranny to something else.. if it's even possible

JDM melbatoast

That's what she said..
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah dude rebuilding your trans is like a fresh start, theyll rip that tranny open and itll drive like new....you probabaly had some little 16 year old who rode the clutch.. i would start looking at other parts of the car for similar destruction like exhuats, intake, and spend a while under your hood and look for signs of home made mods or cheap mods...good luck buddy!!!!