Tranny Clunk, Can't Move

ZpB

I accidentally dropped the clutch pedal in my '99 Civic tonight while I was in first gear. My foot was on the brake when it happened. There was a clunk, but my engine never stalled out. I have not had any issues with my tranny before this.
Now, I cannot shift into any gear; the transmission seems to either be stuck in neutral because there is a break in the shift linkage, or the clutch seems to be constantly engaged. The engine starts and runs fine.
My clutch pedal does not feel any different, and it is hard to tell if the shifter itself feels any looser. I AM able to move the shifter into any position without the clutch pedal pushed in.
Where should I start looking? Did the transmission get thrown back into neutral because the shifter linkage broke? Where do I examine the linkage: under the center console, or from under the car?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks guys

ZpB

I can shift into any gear without the clutch even while the engine is running. The speedometer does not register any speed when I push the gas pedal. HOWEVER, when I shift gears with the engine running, the speedometer DOES register speed (it doesn't vary, it is just a different constant speed for each respective gear). There also is a little bit of rattling.
Sounds like an axle issue?
Tomorrow I will have to check if it is a CV joint or the intermediate shaft....