tranny fluid flush??

scoobychue03

5+ Year Member
i tried searching for "how to's" but i can't seem to find anything on how to change the transmission fluid on a 93 hatch. does anyone have a link or any simple directions on how to change/flush the fluid???

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
flush or a drain and fill, and is your's a maunual or a automatic.

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
auto is a lil more trickey gotta do a filter change on that one which means pulling the tranny pan, the manual is easy there is a plug on the side of the case towards the bottom then there is a fill hole a lil bit higher up pull the top fill plug then pull the bottom plug, i use the penzoil syncromesh stuff and its worked out pretty good

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
on a manual it can't be flushed, all you can do is a drain and fill, best thing to do is to get a hayne's or chilton manual which will show you the drain bolt and fill bolt locations, both are located on the passenger side of the trans though, you'll need three quarts of honda MTF, it won't use teh enitre fluid, first unbolt part# 11 in my pic which is the fill bolt, then get a drain pan and stick it under part# 7, which is ofcourse the drain bolt, once it drained put #7 back on and prepare your 3 quarts of honda MTF, you may and will have to become creative on how you pour the MTF into the fill bolt since it's such a tight space, you will only fill it to the point of it starting to overflow outta the fill bolt, such as common since would dicatate right, lol, the replug the fill bolt, but when you do this please remember to use new crush gasket which are part #13 and # 12, they are 2 different size crush gasket.

Last edited:

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
j_fukin_t said:
auto is a lil more trickey gotta do a filter change on that one which means pulling the tranny pan, the manual is easy there is a plug on the side of the case towards the bottom then there is a fill hole a lil bit higher up pull the top fill plug then pull the bottom plug, i use the penzoil syncromesh stuff and its worked out pretty good
honda's don't have trans pan!

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Tom said:
honda's don't have trans pan!
learn something new every day, i retract my previous statement, i will now go to the mirror and call myself stupid!! :lol: who has an auto anyway???

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
the honda auto's do have a filter, but it's so far deep into the trans taht it cost more to tear it down and repalce the filter then to just repalce the trans with a used unit or replace it under the honda 100k mile power train warranty if the vehicle has one.

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Tom said:
the honda auto's do have a filter, but it's so far deep into the trans taht it cost more to tear it down and repalce the filter then to just repalce the trans with a used unit or replace it under the honda 100k mile power train warranty if the vehicle has one.
no s**t? talk about a pain in the ass, thats why i stick to my 5 spds

scoobychue03

5+ Year Member
Tom said:
on a manual it can't be flushed, all you can do is a drain and fill, best thing to do is to get a hayne's or chilton manual which will show you the drain bolt and fill bolt locations, both are located on the passenger side of the trans though, you'll need three quarts of honda MTF, it won't use teh enitre fluid, first unbolt part# 11 in my pic which is the fill bolt, then get a drain pan and stick it under part# 7, which is ofcourse the drain bolt, once it drained put #7 back on and prepare your 3 quarts of honda MTF, you may and will have to become creative on how you pour the MTF into the fill bolt since it's such a tight space, you will only fill it to the point of it starting to overflow outta the fill bolt, such as common since would dicatate right, lol, the replug the fill bolt, but when you do this please remember to use new crush gasket which are part #13 and # 12, they are 2 different size crush gasket.

so basically all i need to find it 2 bolts and unscrew them?

stupid question, but why do i need to replace the crush gaskets??

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
they are gasket, over time if not replaced they will leak, they cost around 50 cents, so they should be changed since the are important and cheap.

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok not 2 bolts..
the drain plug ur gonna need a ratchet to open..no sockets...
to fill it though instead of using that shitty ass pump and the fill hole....
just take off ur VSS and put it in thru there..
just foind out ur cars capacity so u pour in exatly that much...

when u use the fill hole u would know how much is enough..with the VSS u wont knwo that exactly but like said find out if it fits 2 or 2.5 quarts and fill in that much..and its hell of a lot easier to pour thru the vss then the fill hole

scoobychue03

5+ Year Member
Blazed said:
ok not 2 bolts..
the drain plug ur gonna need a ratchet to open..no sockets...
to fill it though instead of using that shitty ass pump and the fill hole....
just take off ur VSS and put it in thru there..
just foind out ur cars capacity so u pour in exatly that much...

when u use the fill hole u would know how much is enough..with the VSS u wont knwo that exactly but like said find out if it fits 2 or 2.5 quarts and fill in that much..and its hell of a lot easier to pour thru the vss then the fill hole
VSS? i'm not sure what that is

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
vehicle speed sensor..
pop the hood...loo at the tranny..on the top u'll see a plug going in the tranny...thats ur speed sensor..
no need to disconnect the plug...
just unbolt it..i believe its probably held by 1 or 2 10 mm bolts..take the whole thing out stick a funnel in and pour the fluid..
u drain it first ofcourse..from the drain plug ;)

trainjunkie

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
those trannies hold 1.9L, check the manual, 3 is too much. I rigged up some copper pipe to use the check plug location, works great, but ya without that, remove vss and jam a funnel and send the oil in.

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my gsr takes about 2.5 so it will be less than that ;)

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Tranny flush is a service normally associated with automatics. It's not really necessary on a manual. If you have an automatic Honda you have to flush it at the cooler lines anyway because Honda automatics don't have pans.

Tom is correct about crush washer gaskets. At .50 apiece it's cheap insurance. Real cheap.

I haven't used the VSS hole since I had my old Suzuki Swift and that was just because one of the previous owners had used a pair of vise grips on it and effed up the fill plug (ironically, the drain plug was undamaged):what: It works just fine like Blazed said if you know the capacity. I have a funnel with an on/off valve and about 3 feet of hose on it.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
trainjunkie said:
those trannies hold 1.9L, check the manual, 3 is too much. I rigged up some copper pipe to use the check plug location, works great, but ya without that, remove vss and jam a funnel and send the oil in.
no a honda holds more the 2 quarts, that's why when we sell a drain and fill the tech gets 3 quarts of trans fluid, since you can't by a half quart a whole 3 quarts get sold for this reason, trust me when i say i think a honda employee is right.