Transmission Conversion

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was wondering...I want to change my auto to a manual, does the tranny have to be from the exact same car? or could other civics, just as long as its a d-series like mine, work?

civic_anxiety

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my friend just did that, the tranny doesnt have to be from the same car, but it much easier for the shop guys if it is, less things to modify to make it fit. should take about a week to convert, if they do a good job.

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you want to do this conversion , you would have to get a tranny from the same model of the car , but it doesnt matter on the type like LX etc...

Not really sure that you could fit a DOHC tranny with a SOHC , but im thinking it wont work.

If engine is Non-Vtec....find a tranny that is also non-vtec because the ratios would be different because a Vtec tranny has a longer ratio and non has a shorter ratio

(not truly sure about some of my answers...mad memory)

civic_anxiety

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wait hold on, if u have an EX motor than stick with an EX tranny, the gear ratio for EX, LX, DX, HX are all different, so it would be better that u stick with the same tranny as the motor

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cool, thanks. how much do they run for? do you think it would be okay to get one from a dismantler?

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
one more thing..

If you have a DOHC motor find DOHC tranny.

If you have a SOHC motor find SOHC tranny.

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
der.... conversion is alotta work and time

u gotta add the clutch, take out the tranny, put the new tranny in..install the rods and the linkage and all of that s**t....

when u doin this anyways?

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
whenever i get money...arent you at work seanjohn?

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know how to do this conversion ....all i need is a car lift and the right tools...

I just finish doing one last month in my engine repair and tranmissions class..

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
forreal? hook it up...well, all i need are the parts. what would i need to buy and how much would they cost?

civic_anxiety

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
u could do the whole thing for around 1500 bucks at the shop, well at this one shop i know, but i suggest u find the parts yourself, cause the shop might give u parts from the junkyard that are rusted

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would be glade to hook you up , but need a place to do work...thats the down side...and the right tools for me to fool around with...and some of the tools are exspensive as freak

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
would you be able to hook me up with a tranny? how much?

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
man you just be gettin the hook ups all over this board, heheh

good s**t

rice4brains: yeah im at work... bored too...

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hell yeah man, networking = hook-ups. everybody should just hook up everybody. wed all have everything we want for a cheaper price...damn the man!

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
all you have to know is to match D series with D series ad B with B.... auto to manual requires a new ecu also... if you have an auto and you put in a manual, your lockup contol sensor (i think thats what its called) will throw error messagers to your CEL....i know... ive got a LX Tranny on an EX motor... matched right up..

OveRBoOSTCiViC

VIETNAMEZE
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
BUMP

Wussup.. I did it to my car.. runs perfect. I'm still using my Automatic Engine harness. Check Engine though.. Get a Manual and the check engine will go away.. it took about 1 day and a half.. swap a new motor and install. This is what you need:
Shift Linkage ( I got one for sale)
Manual Tranny ( around 2-3 hundred)
Clutch master Cyl/with Clutch pedal($150)
ECU ( 100bucks)
Give me your Budget and i'll hook you up since you mah neighbor. laterz

rey rey

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Linguistics said:
I was wondering...I want to change my auto to a manual, does the tranny have to be from the exact same car? or could other civics, just as long as its a d-series like mine, work?
i'm doing a tranny swap soon and i'm using a tranny from 92 for my 98ex, its direct bolt on.