Transmission Issue (Auto)

DaNuke96

Hello all! Let me start off by saying I'm by no means an expert in the automotive field, I'm an apprentice toyota tech but I'm still a bit under experienced. My 95 Civic EX (D16Z6, auto, 210k-ish) has recently started to give me some issues. When I start it up in the mornings it's fine, when i leave work it's fine, but if I try to go anywhere after the long commute from work after I've gotten home and the car sits a bit, it doesn't seem to want to come out of first gear. If I'm stationary and put it in 1st on the shifter it rolls like it's in neutral and if I give it gas it just revs. I have to have it in 2nd to D4 to take off. Very, very, very rarely will it ever shift at this point until I let it sit and cool down for a few hours. When it's messing up if I let off the gas any it bogs down real hard like I just downshifted and I can hear a whining/whirring noise coming from the front of the car, I assume it's coming from the trans. If it ever does decide to come out of first it's accompanied by a terrible grinding noise and it'll shift fine again until the issue presents itself again. Any ideas of the issue? Is the trans junk at this point? Any and all help or advice is appreciated!