Transmission reverse problem: 09 Civic

DMONEY!

Hey everyone, My 2009 Honda Civic is having some problems. Every time we put it into reverse and press the breaks the car starts to jiggle/rattle and make noise (like the car is about to take off). It works fine when we put it into drive. Does any one have any thoughts or ideas as too whats going on? Thanks!

DMONEY!

hey sorry - Its an Auto trans.

I live in Vancouver - it has been a lot colder the last few weeks - but its not super cold

MotorMo

Respected
I would maby look at the engine mounts. In particular your passenger side upper mount has a high failure rate of failure. When it does it tends to vibrate the car more noticeably in reverse than in drive, and a bit less noticable when its warm ( lower, softer idle).
Does your mount look like this? upload_2016-12-9_7-46-41.jpeg

if so, you should be able to slide a business card through this area upload_2016-12-9_7-47-21.jpeg
If you cant and the mount is collapsed on it self, then I would start there. I just replaced one yesterday-

DMONEY!

Thank you for the help! Thus far the issue has only happened when its cold and only in reverse. The whole car rattles and makes noise- do you think it's a tranny or a torque converter problem?

MotorMo

Respected
Ahhh, if only I was there in person to feel it I could let ya know what I felt the issue was. Stick to the basics. Is this a new issue, or a new car to you?