Trunk Conversion

CiviKid

Post Whoralicious
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey guys, this is my first post!

Anyone know how to do the trunk conversion where the trunk stays parallel to the car when you open it? the sell a "kit" on ebay for 25 bucks but im sure its something simple...thanks

Je

the white hatch
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I Have no idea, but it looks good as hell.
Welcome to the club =)

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im with 92civicvc...i have no clue how/where to get it, and ive never seen one with it =) but 25 bucks on ebay dont sound bad :what:

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
all i have to say is, you get what you pay for. 25 bucks, theres no way that kit is complete or good. plus the installation on it im sure is extensive.

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
theres my little ricer. its easy to do...just a couple of hinges and some hole drilling. but im not sure how it works on other cars besides the 96-00 coupe

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow lol thats freeking awesome...i wanna do it =)....ill look around on net to see if there is any tutorials are something on it

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well all i could find was what the conversion is called. Its called a Flip Flop Trunk Conversion, but unforutnely i couldntfind a site that said what ya needed or how to do it...rice4Brains, hook us up with some how to =)

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ill take pics later...itll explain it better

CiviKid

Post Whoralicious
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Alright guys! I found the How-to!! it looks simple enough it just doesnt specify what kind of hinges you need.....here is the link

http://www.hstuners.com/news/wmview.php?ArtID=46

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
here you go...kinda crappy pics...but you get the picture

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think you can tell where its bolted...you might want to line up the hinge with the elbow a little better though. i needed a power drill because the holes on the hinge didnt match up perfectly

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok looks real easy, let me make sure i got the jist of it...so your using the stock trunk hinges(the square tubing) the only thing your doing is sticking a hinge on the ends and putting a peice of metal which serves as the stop. Is that it??

CiviKid

Post Whoralicious
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
question tho...does it seem pretty sturdy? or does it wobble easy? does it close right? leak? anything?

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it kinda wobbles easy...if you put a cross bar connecting the two, i think it would be more stable. it closes right as long as you keep the bumpers on the trunk door. mine came off, so it tilted up the trunk for about 9 months...now i got a slightyly bent trunk. it doesnt leak though

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
and it seems that when its closed that the end next to the window, would lift up easy since really the only thing holding down the the truck then would be the latch...does it shake when your drving becuase of that or is there something else you did to prevent that

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well...not sure how to prevent it...when i first did it, the rubber bumpers on the bottom the the trunk lid(closest to eh bumper) fell off and i couldnt find em. it made the trunk sit in a little crooked causing the part near the window to tilt up a bit. it should be a problem as long as you dont lose the rubber bumpers