Tryna get the vtec operational

LuFerVaz

Dropped a D17A in my car in place of my D17A1. It runs smooth but I don’t like the power. I don’t know how to make the vtec work. Do I just hook up a vtec controller? Apreciate your help.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You have a JDM D17A? Is that even Vtec? I find some sources that say yes and some no. If it's not vtec, it won't work of course.

If it is Vtec, there's more to it -- It's not just drop and go. You'd need an ECU capable of Vtec. You need to wire up the Vtec solenoid & oil pressure switch, and who else knows what with a 7th gen.

LuFerVaz

You have a JDM D17A? Is that even Vtec? I find some sources that say yes and some no. If it's not vtec, it won't work of course.

If it is Vtec, there's more to it -- It's not just drop and go. You'd need an ECU capable of Vtec. You need to wire up the Vtec solenoid & oil pressure switch, and who else knows what with a 7th gen.
Yea it’s a vtec. It’s the Japanese version of the D17A2. I removed the vtec solenoid originally. Figures I just wouldn’t use the vtec. But the car is even more of a dog now. Now I’m thinkin I’ll wire up the Vtec.
So a new ecu and solenoid and oil pressure switch... I can’t find a ecu that’s compatible with an Manual Trans. Only A/T

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yea it’s a vtec. It’s the Japanese version of the D17A2. I removed the vtec solenoid originally. Figures I just wouldn’t use the vtec. But the car is even more of a dog now. Now I’m thinkin I’ll wire up the Vtec.
So a new ecu and solenoid and oil pressure switch... I can’t find a ecu that’s compatible with an Manual Trans. Only A/T
7th gen EX's came in manual and had a D17A2. I would find one from there. What year is your car? Depending on the year of each, I think LX used narrowband sensors and later model EX models used wideband. Might need to do something there too. Honestly don't know.

I think that D17A, if like the A2, has Vtec E... this means that you'd get s**t power without vtec, once the crossover happens. With that car its like 3200RPMs. So you need to wire Vtec to get it running properly.

See if you can find some D17A2 to D17A1 guides. I think that would be your best bet here.

EDIT: Maybe this will help? https://www.d-series.org/forums/7th-gen/129303-d17a1-d17a2-conversion.html

LuFerVaz

its a 2005 value package. I found an ECU for sale on ebay. says its out of an Acura with a D17A2. The "pep" is not there without the Vtec. I down shift just to pass and it picks up so slow. Im not looking to street race or anything, but I would like it to run right. What sensors are you talking about? The 02 sensors? I eliminated my O2 sensors a while ago when i ran straight pipe. Im not really worried about that.
I can manage wiring up the solenoid. Looks like i need a good pin out and two wires with the right inserts. You mentioned an oil pressure senor. Which sensor would that be? The only one I find is the stock one. Is there a OP sensor just for the Vtec?
Thanks man.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

LuFerVaz

About sensor, yeah, so no worries about those.

As for everyting else I'm honestly not too sure, I'm not good with 7th gens. Maybe some of these links may help? That being said, don't expect much pep from that car / engine to begin with. D17's are all meh IMO

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/115-engine/368815-vtec-question-d17a1-swap-d17a2-03-lx.html
https://www.hamotorsports.com/vtec-pressure-switch-wiring-bypass.html
Thanks for the tip man. I know I won’t get much. By atl least when I sell it, I can say it’s a VTeC and that it all runs right.
Appreciate ya.