Turbo-Charging the 1.6l SOHC

Ekcivic1

Hello all, I have been looking into turbo Charging my EK 1.6l SOHC civic, I found this web site that had some info on the subject, has anyone turbo charged a 1.6l SOHC?? Im just wondering if there are kits out there. Ill post a link of the site I found.. http://asia.vtec.net/beystock/Civic/art6/

Cheers All.

CO671

Registered VIP
Whats your budget and desired HP?

CO671

Registered VIP
And what draws you towards doing it in D-series instead of another type of engine?
The thing with the D16's is that with stock internals, it's rumored and dyno'd that they can only safely sustain up to 220-230hp. To go beyond that reliably and run for a long time, you'ill need to rebuild the motor.

If you don't intend to go pass 220-230hp you'll still need to make sure the motors in good shape, and if it isn't, why risk it?

There are kits out there, turbocharging is a universal possibility as long as vehicles can fit them, almost everything may fit on another vehicles from a turbo-kit except for the turbo exhaust manifold which'll need to be made specific to the engine it's going on.

JDMKezz

bro go either B16a Or B18c i have the same engine as you and im puting a B18c in mine as soon as i can..=)

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
And what draws you towards doing it in D-series instead of another type of engine?
The thing with the D16's is that with stock internals, it's rumored and dyno'd that they can only safely sustain up to 120-130hp. To go beyond that reliably and run for a long time, you'ill need to rebuild the motor.

If you don't intend to go pass 120-130hp you'll still need to make sure the motors in good shape, and if it isn't, why risk it?

There are kits out there, turbocharging is a universal possibility as long as vehicles can fit them, almost everything may fit on another vehicles from a turbo-kit except for the turbo exhaust manifold which'll need to be made specific to the engine it's going on.
120hp Wtf? The d16 have been pushed as far as 250hp on stock internals but thats really pushing it, 200-220 hp is as far as I would go and in my opinion 220 is perfect for the street

There are plenty of people who turbocharge the d16 me being one of them. Why swap a stock motor in that will only make a little power when you can have way more torque than most hondas by adding a turbo, the money used to buy anything other than a b18b could be used to make a good turbo setup with way more power

If you have money and want it to last I would check out go autowork or rc autoworks for honda/acura specific turbo kits coming in between $2200-3200 for there cheapest and most expensive kit, only things missing from that kit is a chipped ecu and injectors

CO671

Registered VIP
120hp Wtf? The d16 have been pushed as far as 250hp on stock internals but thats really pushing it, 200-220 hp is as far as I would go and in my opinion 220 is perfect for the street

There are plenty of people who turbocharge the d16 me being one of them. Why swap a stock motor in that will only make a little power when you can have way more torque than most hondas by adding a turbo, the money used to buy anything other than a b18b could be used to make a good turbo setup with way more power

If you have money and want it to last I would check out go autowork or rc autoworks for honda/acura specific turbo kits coming in between $2200-3200 for there cheapest and most expensive kit, only things missing from that kit is a chipped ecu and injectors
HOLY s**t. I KEPT SAYING 120, :shock::shock: i knew it was 220. My bad.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There's nothing wrong with turbocharging a sohc. Even if you built it and turbo charged it, it would cost less than a b seris built to make the same power.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so yous are all saying it would be better to turbo the D then to buy and turbo a B ?
It will be more cost effective. What's "better" is all up to the individual.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I found that having a turbo d was more 'fun' than having a turbo b