turbo for 97 dx

LunarEclipse

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
does anyone make one, I know the motor is small, but my friend wants a smaller turbo just for some extra boost. What are some thoughts

97dxhatch

5+ Year Member
I'm pretty sure the greddy kit for the ex will fit, then you might want to swap in a d16y8 intake manifold so that you can use the ex intercooler piping.

Si_Racer13

JDMchris>>>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "97dxhatch"

I'm pretty sure the greddy kit for the ex will fit, then you might want to swap in a d16y8 intake manifold so that you can use the ex intercooler piping.
yes the greddy kit for the ex will work, if you swap the manifold like 97dx said, then it will all bolt up, but if you dont, then you will have to do a little bit of custom piping.

LunarEclipse

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the ex has the same head as the dx? maybe I should ask how different are the dx and ex engines, I mean if you are going to swap an ex head onto the 1.6liter engine, might as well swap the bottom end too. I don't know if the ex bottom end is bigger/stronger, where can I check out this greddy kit? I heard about it, only put about 50 more hp from a dyno I saw on 2gnt.com

[edit] nevermind they are same displacement

Si_Racer13

JDMchris>>>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "LunarEclipse"

the ex has the same head as the dx? maybe I should ask how different are the dx and ex engines, I mean if you are going to swap an ex head onto the 1.6liter engine, might as well swap the bottom end too. I don't know if the ex bottom end is bigger/stronger, where can I check out this greddy kit? I heard about it, only put about 50 more hp from a dyno I saw on 2gnt.com

[edit] nevermind they are same displacement
They do not have the same heads. And when we're not talking about swapping heads, just the manifold. The turbo will put out different amounts of HP depending on how much you boost. I know of someone putting out 176hp at 7lbs of boost, with stock internals, all on a DX engine.

to check out the kit visit the greddy site.

LunarEclipse

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
did that engine use forged pistons or are you talking stock everything? the ex intake manifold comes out the left side where the dx comes straight out the top. Am I right?where can my friend pick up an ex manifold and throttle body, right now he's looking to get a cai, are the throttle body any different is size. comparing the dx to the ex intake? I would assume the ex flows a little better.

LunarEclipse

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oh that kit for the ex is not on there site, unless its for 92-95 ex vtec, what turbo does this kit run, this one runs a 15g

97dxhatch

5+ Year Member

did that engine use forged pistons or are you talking stock everything? the ex intake manifold comes out the left side where the dx comes straight out the top. Am I right?where can my friend pick up an ex manifold and throttle body, right now he's looking to get a cai, are the throttle body any different is size. comparing the dx to the ex intake? I would assume the ex flows a little better.
search around on ebay, im sure there are a couple on there

Si_Racer13

JDMchris>>>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

oh that kit for the ex is not on there site, unless its for 92-95 ex vtec, what turbo does this kit run, this one runs a 15g
yes the 92-95 one, and yes you are right about the manifold coming out on the side instead of straight up.

and the guy i was talking about, was on stock internals.

LunarEclipse

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dam that is impressive, that car must have been tuned so well, anyways, that kit will fit his 97 dx? even though it says 92-95, what is that a type error

Si_Racer13

JDMchris>>>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

dam that is impressive, that car must have been tuned so well, anyways, that kit will fit his 97 dx? even though it says 92-95, what is that a type error
Yes it fits. The kit was made specifically for the 92-95 EX/Si, But the engines are very similar.

Si_Racer13

JDMchris>>>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes Apexi makes one also, but i hear that the greddy kit is better.