turbo on a B18C

toejam

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok. what would you have to do to a 6th gen civic with a B18C in order to safley run a turbo. and what brand/model would be best? i'm looking for good acceleration as opposed to top speed but have always loved the sound of the blow-off. any help would be appreciated!

boostedbar

f0b
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would recommending beefing up the internals abit. Forged pistons and rods are always a good path to go, sleeving's even better. Then you could really crank the boost. yeah...you'll get that blow off sound...but it shouldn't be the motivation behind you getting a turbo. I found some really good stuff for my rex at raceeng.com, a shop with almost any internal part for any honda.

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah and i hope you meant b18c1 and not b18c5

OveRBoOSTCiViC

VIETNAMEZE
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Go Turbo on b18c5 or b18c1.. either way you'll be heated

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i thought the b18c5 was good enough to not need turbo...like, it doesnt like to be boosted the way that other honda engines are

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
all motors love boost, its just by what standards lol, you boost any car your gonna get better results, so b18c5 can handle its self fine, but with boost its that much better....

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "Rice4Brains"

i thought the b18c5 was good enough to not need turbo...like, it doesnt like to be boosted the way that other honda engines are
in very simplified terms, boost is essentially compression......... and any given motor would be able to handle a particular amount of compression before the big bang...... on a very high-compression b18c5 you can run boost but it is a good idea to keep the pressure a little lower..........

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Originally posted by "Team 4R"

Rice4Brains said:
in very simplified terms, boost is essentially compression......... and any given motor would be able to handle a particular amount of compression before the big bang...... on a very high-compression b18c5 you can run boost but it is a good idea to keep the pressure a little lower..........
true, but theres different kinds of compression- static and effective. static compression is the c/r of the mechanical bits of the engine- the combo of pistons and head. effective compression is the addition of boost to the static c/r. the higher the static c/r the more power that is extracted from the exploding charge. the amount of boost/ compression an engine can take depends on tuning more than anything else. there are itr's on stock bottom ends making over 300 whp at around 8 psi. there are b18c1's doing the same. the c1 is a better turbo motor because of its cams, which are better suited to boost than the c5's. but the c5 has a better flowing head and higher static c/r, which make up the difference in the cam. if you only goal is turbo, do a b20 or b18b, they are much cheaper to buy and can hold boost better than the b18c.