Turbo Project on D16y7 motor...need help, comments..etc..

jdmek9r

mRek9R
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sup...i gotta 90 Laser RS TURBO (cost too much to repair/rebuild) to tear apart and i was wonder what i could use to turbo charge my little hatch. This is what i got so far...(sorry i didnt' use the search...)

-small intercooler
-TD05H 14b Turbo
-Maybe some of the piping..
ANYTHING ELSE??

This is what i have:
-$600.00 to spend
-HKS SSQ BOV
-STD Ported and Polished Exhaust Manifold
-00' Civic EX Intake Manifold
-

Thanks.. 8)

OveRBoOSTCiViC

VIETNAMEZE
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you need a turbo exaust manifold. You can custom a 96 STOCK DX header, so that will be your turbo manifold. Bolt on the turbo or just weld that mug to the turbo. or just buy a turbo manifold. you need, Boost gauge, Air/Fuel, Fmu,missing link, Turbo timer,and Pipings.

That should be around $600 or less if you buy it off the streets.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Re: Turbo Project on D16y7 motor...need help, comments..etc.

You don't need a turbo timer, just don't be a lazy stupid f**k. Llet your car idle for a couple of minutes after any hard driving.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Originally posted by "OveRBoOSTCiViC"

you need a turbo exaust manifold. You can custom a 96 STOCK DX header, so that will be your turbo manifold. Bolt on the turbo or just weld that mug to the turbo. or just buy a turbo manifold. you need, Boost gauge, Air/Fuel, Fmu,missing link, Turbo timer,and Pipings.

That should be around $600 or less if you buy it off the streets.
ummmm a 96 dx header into a turbo manifold?? your joking right. the only stock honda manifolds you can use for turbos are the 88-91 civic standard and crx hf mannis, and with some modification you can use the 92-95 cx and vx mannis. if you use any of these you will need to have a machine shop make you an adapter plate to mount the turbo on. your going to need more parts than this guy listed, like all the hoses, clamps, fittings, etc. its hard to put together a complete junkyard turbo kit and make it work effectively. look on places like www.thepartstrader.com for used turbo kits, you can find them for pretty cheap and they are complete (if the seller isnt a scammer). dont use an fmu, they are garbage. get at least a vafc hack, but if you can afford it do a hondata or aem ems. and get it dyno tuned by a pro. yes its expensive, but its the only way to do it right to get the most power, gas mileage, and reliability out of your turbo. for more info, www.homemadeturbo.com

jdmek9r

mRek9R
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

i got the turbo manifold already...it's an STD ported and polished...it's been bored to fit the TDO5H 14b turbo...does anyone know where i can purchase an adapter plate? thanks..

OveRBoOSTCiViC

VIETNAMEZE
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Originally posted by "TurboZinc"

You don't need a turbo timer, just don't be a lazy stupid f**k. Llet your car idle for a couple of minutes after any hard driving.
Look whose stupid, Dont tell me you drive your turbo stang and wait in the parking lot for a couple minutes to let it idle. That would be some stupid s**t. Turbo timer just smash, get the f**k out of the car, let it idle by it self.

And for the other guy about the Turbo Manifold. I custom my 96 DX header, The cat is on the header, you have to chop off the cat, get a adapter plate, weld to the header. than bolt it on the turbo, or just be lazy and weld it to the turbo. Pipings clamps and hose you have to custom, I do my own pipings, Its easy for me to do it because my cousin has a auto shop. Your stupid if you dont use a FMU, FMU will help you not blow your motor stupid f**k already stupid if you dont think a 96 DX header can be use as a turbo manifold. I'll take pix and post it up for your stupid ass.
BOTH OF YAH GOT OWN.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

TurboZinc said:
You don't need a turbo timer, just don't be a lazy stupid . Llet your car idle for a couple of minutes after any hard driving.
Look whose stupid, Dont tell me you drive your turbo stang and wait in the parking lot for a couple minutes to let it idle. That would be some stupid . Turbo timer just smash, get the out of the car, let it idle by it self.

And for the other guy about the Turbo Manifold. I custom my 96 DX header, The cat is on the header, you have to chop off the cat, get a adapter plate, weld to the header. than bolt it on the turbo, or just be lazy and weld it to the turbo. Pipings clamps and hose you have to custom, I do my own pipings, Its easy for me to do it because my cousin has a auto shop. Your stupid if you dont use a FMU, FMU will help you not blow your motor stupid already stupid if you dont think a 96 DX header can be use as a turbo manifold. I'll take pix and post it up for your stupid ass.
BOTH OF YAH GOT OWN.
First of all, a turbo timer timer isn't necessary. I will sit with my car in the parking lot for a couple of minutes. Are you that f**king lazy? He is trying to do a cheap turbo build and you are telling him that he NEEDS a turbo timer?
An FMU is a decent way to control the air/fuel ratio, but a rather crude one. A hondata system allows much more control over the entire system and is a much safer way of doing things, albeit a little more expensive.

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
and if you don't have a turbo timer and are too f**king impatient to take 90 seconds out of your day and save your turbo, just drive easily for the last few blocks before you arrive at your destination....... stay off boost, and the turbo won't heat up.

also, let's be honest about tuning...... anything less than a tuneable ecu is just patchwork.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you idiot overboost, the only person you owned was yourself with that moronic rant, which was completely incorrect. do you have any idea how or why a fmu works, cus it certainly doesnt sound like you do. fmu's are an extremely questionable way to get fuel into a boosted motor. i know that hes trying to do a budget, but there are just some parts that you dont skimp, and that is fuel. you can skimp on a cheap turbo or cheap manni or whatever, but if you skimp on the fuel your gonna blow you motor, its as simple as that. as for your header-mainfold project, yea i am skeptical cus ive never seen that done, but if you have pics up with them.

OveRBoOSTCiViC

VIETNAMEZE
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
blah

Originally posted by "handlebarsfsr"

you idiot overboost, the only person you owned was yourself with that moronic rant, which was completely incorrect. do you have any idea how or why a fmu works, cus it certainly doesnt sound like you do. fmu's are an extremely questionable way to get fuel into a boosted motor. i know that hes trying to do a budget, but there are just some parts that you dont skimp, and that is fuel. you can skimp on a cheap turbo or cheap manni or whatever, but if you skimp on the fuel your gonna blow you motor, its as simple as that. as for your header-mainfold project, yea i am skeptical cus ive never seen that done, but if you have pics up with them.
What are you talking about man? Fuel is the most important thing in the turboing a car. You need FMU, who say that you dont need it? Fields Vtec controller will also increase fuel injection by 30%

- TURBOZINC- a TURBO TIMER will help save the turbo's life. Im not lazy about sitting in the car. I'm just smarter than you. Why would you wanna wait in your car for a couple minutes? when you could already be outside and chill. I mean I understand if your cheap and s**t. Than I feel you man. sit all you want dumb ass.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Re: blah

handlebarsfsr said:
What are you talking about man? Fuel is the most important thing in the turboing a car. You need FMU, who say that you dont need it? Fields Vtec controller will also increase fuel injection by 30%

- TURBOZINC- a TURBO TIMER will help save the turbo's life. Im not lazy about sitting in the car. I'm just smarter than you. Why would you wanna wait in your car for a couple minutes? when you could already be outside and chill. I mean I understand if your cheap and . Than I feel you man. sit all you want dumb ass.
A turbo timer doesn't in itself save the turbos life. Waiting for the oil to cool down so it doesn't coke up on the bearings is what keeps the turbo from failing from oil starvation. I just don't see the need to spend $100 or more for some flashy lights and an extra minute or two. I'd rather spend that money on performance s**t than a turbo timer because my ass is too f**king lazy to sit in my car for an extra couple of minutes.
You need to read what people are saying before you go off ranting. He didn't say that you don't need more fuel, he's saying that an FMU is a shitty way of getting that extra fuel and there are much much better ways of doing it.

The Civic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Alright, it's time for me to chime in :D

Turbo timers aren't necesary. They are a convienience item. Personally if I had a turboed car I would buy one not because I'm lazy but because I'm impatient. If you are willing to sit in your car & let it cool down like TurboZinc does then it's a waste of money.

Before I start my rant about FMUs let me first ask what year the motor/ECU is in the car that is going to get the turbo setup. If it's a 96-00 DX, which is what I believe that motor comes in (too lazy to look it up right now) then an FMU will be a good way to go. The only reason I say that is because of how much of a hassle & how costly a standalone unit is on an OBDII car. First off you'll need to swap it to OBDI. Hondada's & almost all other standalone fuel management systems will only work on OBDI ECUs. The P28 is what you would need in your car. Next you'll need an OBDII<->OBDI ECU swap harness. On top of that you'll need to buy the Hondata, a better fuel pump, & larger injectors. All that adds up in a real hurry. Here's the price of a fuel setup all coming from Hondata except the fuel pump.

P28 - $250
harness - $250
Hondata 2b - $500
fuel pump - $100
injectors - $360
TOTAL - $1460

If the car is alreado OBDI you can drop $500 from that price, but you're still looking at about a grand. The other option is the aforementioned FMU. They work. They just give you fuel in a different manner. Instead of adjusting the injector pulse they just raise the fuel pressure depending on the amount of boost that you're running. I've been running one on my car for 2 years with no problems at all. Here's how much it would cost for this setup. This is the same price for OBDII and OBDI.

FMU - $200
fuel pump - $100
injectors - $360 (only truly needed if you're going over 6 psi)
VAFC or Fields controller - $300 or less (not needed but is very handy for fine tuning)
TOTAL - $960

If you are willing to spend some time and $$$ on a dyno then you can get away without the VAFC as long as you get an adjustable FMU. With that in mind it brings your price down to $660. It's definitely a cheaper route to go. I will admit that it adds a bit more hassle when it comes time to toune it though. Also since everything is done mechanically there is the possibility of parts failing.

Both of these setups will work fine for a daily driven car IMO. In order to get the most out of either you'll need to put them on a dyno with a wideband O2 though. If you don't tune your car that way you're just stabbing in the dark. Weigh out your options & see what works best for you. If you have the cash for a standalone setup then I would suggest it. If you don't have the cash for it don't feel afraid of using an FMU setup. They'll both work just fine as long as you do some homework & know what you're doing with them.

That's my .02
Ken

OveRBoOSTCiViC

VIETNAMEZE
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

"The Civic" Great job of explaining it. I've telling these clubcivic member wussup about the setup but they just dont understand, But I forgot that the set up isfor my year engine 96-00civic. I dont know if a FMU would work fine on other cars but I know it should help. Im out latez

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

"The Civic" Great job of explaining it. I've telling these clubcivic member wussup about the setup but they just dont understand, But I forgot that the set up isfor my year engine 96-00civic. I dont know if a FMU would work fine on other cars but I know it should help. Im out latez
actually me and zinc understand completely, we just have differing opionions than the civic. we feel that the extra few hundred bucks to get a hondata is more than worth it. the way i look at things is you either do it right the first time, or its gonna cost you a lot more to do it over again the right way. fmu's put a huge strain on the fuel system because of the pressures it exerts on the entire system. a 12:1 fmu raises fuel pressure 12psi for every 1lb of boost. so if your running 6psi, your fmu is pushing 72psi BEYOND what your fuel system is made to run at. that is a lot of pressure. try running over 6 psi on that and you have a guaranteed recipe for killing your motor. if you get a hondata and tune it, you will get more hp, more torque, better fuel mileage, and greater reliability. if your running 6 psi can you get away with a fmu? yes. is it the best way to go? unconditionally no. your previous insistance that a fmu was the best way to manage fuel was incorrect, and it still is. you told no one "wassup", and fooled no one with your impersonation of a knoweldgeable person.

OveRBoOSTCiViC

VIETNAMEZE
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what are you talking about man? I know more than yo ass. Plus SOHC motor I can get fo free. So blowing it up aint s**t to me. Your just a dork like you put in your sig fagget

knockoff

you can call me ABE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

what are you talking about man? I know more than yo ass. Plus SOHC motor I can get fo free. So blowing it up aint to me. Your just a dork like you put in your sig fagget
:what: ... first off it is " faggot "... and second of all.. this is exactly the sh*t we are trying to stop here.... overboost.. you are the one sounding like a dork, and your last couple of posts remind me of one other "moderator" who we barely see around anymore.... :roll:

just keep the "personal" flaming to a minimum, and everything will be fine... you know alot about turbo's and sh*t, and so do handlebars and zinc... everyone has their own opinion on what is better, so no need to explain one's sexuality... maybe you should chillax ... and stay away from a confrontation with handlebars... he know's how to dish it out too (i know from experience) :?

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Originally posted by "abej6"

OveRBoOSTCiViC said:
what are you talking about man? I know more than yo ass. Plus SOHC motor I can get fo free. So blowing it up aint to me. Your just a dork like you put in your sig fagget
:what: ... first off it is " faggot "... and second of all.. this is exactly the sh*t we are trying to stop here.... overboost.. you are the one sounding like a dork, and your last couple of posts remind me of one other "moderator" who we barely see around anymore.... :roll:

just keep the "personal" flaming to a minimum, and everything will be fine... you know alot about turbo's and sh*t, and so do handlebars and zinc... everyone has their own opinion on what is better, so no need to explain one's sexuality... maybe you should chillax ... and stay away from a confrontation with handlebars... he know's how to dish it out too (i know from experience) :?
dont worry abej6 i can handle myself. look overboost, whos the faggot here, your the one whos got a stick up your ass, not me. you may think you know about turbos and stuff, but this thread has made it painfully obvious that you dont. you may be able to blow motors up and not think twice about it, but the rest of us cant, so boosting it correctly is paramount. and the most important part of boost is getting enough fuel into the combustion chamber to keep your engine from running lean. and regardless of what you say, an fmu is a poor way to properly manage fuel flow. ask anyone who knows anything about turbos and they will tell you to get a hondata, aem ems or other tuneable ecu over a fmu. its not opinion, its fact. and yea i am a dork, do you have a problem with that? your childish internet threats dont bother me, so your welcome to keep going if it makes you feel like a big man inside to insult me. but regardless of what you say about me, im still correct and your still wrong. we all make mistakes, and we all dont know everything, so stop making a bigger fool of yourself and stop spewing ignorance, your ruining the board for everyone.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/features/0206ht_fuelsystem/ and if you dont beleive me about the fmu's read this, it might enlighten you.

OveRBoOSTCiViC

VIETNAMEZE
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
GoodLink. Well I havent work with the actual Hondata and dont have much knowledge about it. I may be wrong about it, I just have a lot of exprience with the FMU, and it works for me. The reason I got people to get mad so the forum would be more interesting, testing who would turn against me.. Well thanks for all the opinions and comments on this issue. lates