Turbo

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the 5th generation hatch is much lighter than the 6th, with the cx, i think, being the lightest of the 92-95 3doors...... if you can, get a 92-95 si.... you will have a much easier time with a swap and future mods......

as for an h22.... let it go. i know "small car, big motor" is nice on paper, but in practice this situation is very unreasonable... especially to a rookie............

i would suggest (and i would do this myself if my situation was different) that you get the 92-95 si, and swap in a b18c...... don't go hybrid, don't go turbo............ stick with basic bolt-ons and do more research....

when you can explain which turbo is the best size for a honda motor and why (back it up with a compressor map explanation.....), then you will be ready to go that route..... you'll be running 12's like it's a joke......................

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
BioHazard just got owned. You really should read all your stuff before you start refuting other people's posts. BlackDragoni knows more about motors than you will ever know....period. If you are going to call BS on something that is true, don't call it on someone like him.

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
holy s**t man i want a t3/t4 turbo when i do more stuff and GET MY LICENSE AND CAR!!!!! where can i get 1?

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think everyone wants to go hybrid on turbos. I am still decided what size to put on my b18b when I get it.

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First off i spend a whopping 30 seconds on the web and found this "When the turbo or supercharger system is installed as purchased, mileage often times improves due to the increased engine efficiency" -http://www.boosthead.com/faq.html#15
and secondly this is for TurboZinc. you said that you need to recalibrate the sensor, well if you go back and read my reply i said your going to need to get a new one and when buying it you need to tell them your boost and psi of injectors...which "roughly" translated means ya need to buy a new recalibrated sensor....hmm your a good reader!! Now lets look at this fact. So you have 'x' amount of space: the volume of you cylinder; and now you can only have so much pressure in there without blowing your head: or more elquently put, compression. Now when you have more that means you have less gas....Now since the explosion of the gas, and hp is directly proportional to the compression in the cylinder, you need less gas if theres more air in there. so pretty much ill end like this: using boost is just the same as say injecting the same amount of gas in cylinder 'a': a small volume cylinder, and then injecting that same amount of gas in cylinder 'b': a larger cylinder...which one will create the most power?? well 'a' will becuase the explosion is more violent, creating more pressure shoving down piston....This is the same as pushing more air in and makig cylnder "smaller", with more compression =) once again just my two cents worth....

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol this is for 99excoupe...i just visited your web page and something to me odd arised in my head....all htese parts with the wording (on order, or in mail) well i was looking at dates and theyve been in the mail for like a month lol...

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Originally posted by "BioHazard"

First off i spend a whopping 30 seconds on the web and found this "When the turbo or supercharger system is installed as purchased, mileage often times improves due to the increased engine efficiency" -http://www.boosthead.com/faq.html#15
and secondly this is for TurboZinc. you said that you need to recalibrate the sensor, well if you go back and read my reply i said your going to need to get a new one and when buying it you need to tell them your boost and psi of injectors...which "roughly" translated means ya need to buy a new recalibrated sensor....hmm your a good reader!! Now lets look at this fact. So you have 'x' amount of space: the volume of you cylinder; and now you can only have so much pressure in there without blowing your head: or more elquently put, compression. Now when you have more that means you have less gas....Now since the explosion of the gas, and hp is directly proportional to the compression in the cylinder, you need less gas if theres more air in there. so pretty much ill end like this: using boost is just the same as say injecting the same amount of gas in cylinder 'a': a small volume cylinder, and then injecting that same amount of gas in cylinder 'b': a larger cylinder...which one will create the most power?? well 'a' will becuase the explosion is more violent, creating more pressure shoving down piston....This is the same as pushing more air in and makig cylnder "smaller", with more compression =) once again just my two cents worth....
ok where should i start... you do have x amount of space in your combustion chamber, but the space is not limited by blowing off the head. remember, the head is firmly bolted to the block, its not going anywhere unless your pushiing some really serious psi (50+) those little round things that slide in and out are what that pressure is acting against, not the head. your going to bend a rod or break a crank before you blow the head off the engine. the bottom end is the weak point here. compression is not that how much force it takes to blow the head either. the compression ratio is the difference in the size of the combustion chamber, the space between the top of the piston and the top of the head, between top dead center and bottom dead center. the higher the compression ratio, or the harder the air and fuel are compressed, the more force the burn will release. its simple physics, that for each action there is a reaction. you compress the mixture more, the harder it will push against the cylinder when ignited. you cannot inject more air into the cylinder without also adding the requisite amount of fuel too, or else you gain nothing. adding more air doesnt give more hp without adding enough fuel to burn the added oxygen. you need both to increase the power. boost artifically increases the compression ratio, by forcing more air and fuel into a given space. that added compression gives you more hp. thats also why big boost= detonation, because when you compress air you heat it up. when it gets hot enough, it ignites, usually at the wrong time.

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah Biohazard, had some shipping problems, and the order for the hood got messed up (sent me a 96-98 hood). Man, you should also start watching what you post, and who you post it to. You obviously don't know s**t about cars, so quite posting like ya do, cause your making an ass of yourself. We do get into intelligent debates on this website, but we don't go making fun of other peoples cars, and problems. There is room for ya here, just shape up and learn your stuff before refuting very experianced intelligent people.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Biohazard - You have no idea what you are talking about. Answer just this one question. Why is it that with any higher horsepower turbo kit (well, this isn't restricted to turbo, but for simplicities sake we'll just stick to turbo) higher flow injectors are either included or required? If what you say is true, that more air is forced into the combustion chamber and there is less room for fuel then why would you need higher flow injectors, which would push more fuel into the combustion chamber.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your post is just full of wrong information. First of all stop saying PSI injectors. Injectors are rated by the amount of flow per amount of time. 24 lb/hr, 42lb/hr, 82lb/hr, etc. The fuel pump will determine the fuel pressure, along with the computer and any adjustable fuel pressure regulator. The higher the fuel pressure the more fuel an injector will flow. This is why if you are running slightly lean a higher fuel pressure can fix the problem.
About the amount of air and fuel that can be stuffed into the combustion chamber, you are very mistaken. As you fill a certain closed volume with a gas the pressure in that container increases. What this means is that more and more of this gas is filling the container. There isn't just a set amount of a gas that can be placed inside a container and if you add a certain amount, that same amount has to leave the container. This is what happens when air is compressed. A very large amount of air is compressed into a smaller container. Same thing happens in the combustion chamber. More air and fuel can be crammed into the combustion chamber, thus creating a more explosive reaction, creating more power.
Hope all that made sense, it's a little late/early and i've had a few beers :wink:

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok well did you all neglect to read that fascinating little quote i put in my post, that came from a company that BUILDS turbos, hmm one would think they knew what they are talking about, but it seems that you people that still live your drunk parents know more than they do....and also this for handlebarsfsr, ok so the top of the cylinder is what?? Answer: the bottom of the head, so if YOU knew anything about physics you would be able to realize that the force is being pushed upon the head, and since the head is "immobile" the mobile part, piston moves...o yeah and when you go to buy heads what do you primarliy buy them for?? well lets see, their compression ratio...so it seems that compression and your heads are tied together very well, considering the head very much determines the compression...so before all you other people start nagging on me about not knowing nothing why dont you re-read your own posts, so that in turn "ClubCivic's Official Dork" doesnt hand the title down to you

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

ok well did you all neglect to read that fascinating little quote i put in my post, that came from a company that BUILDS turbos, hmm one would think they knew what they are talking about, but it seems that you people that still live your drunk parents know more than they do....and also this for handlebarsfsr, ok so the top of the cylinder is what?? Answer: the bottom of the head, so if YOU knew anything about physics you would be able to realize that the force is being pushed upon the head, and since the head is "immobile" the mobile part, piston moves...o yeah and when you go to buy heads what do you primarliy buy them for?? well lets see, their compression ratio...so it seems that compression and your heads are tied together very well, considering the head very much determines the compression...so before all you other people start nagging on me about not knowing nothing why dont you re-read your own posts, so that in turn "ClubCivic's Official Dork" doesnt hand the title down to you
well remember stupid that the turbo company is TRYING TO SELL YOU A PRODUCT. they want their turbo kit to look so good that you want to spend the money to buy that. yes you can improve gas mileage with a turbo, but that comes from lots of tuning, which is "increased engine efficency". when you blow more air into the combustion chamber, you need to put more fuel in there too, which hurts gas mileage, period. and so if you read something that one person tells you, that means its fact? i dont think so.

the top of the cylinder is the top of the cylinder dumbass. its either domed, dished, or flat, but its the surface that th. do you have any idea what your talking about?? you buy heads for more reasons than c/r, mainly flow. there are a lot of variables that go into c/r. what i was saying about the heads was in response to your quote that "So you have 'x' amount of space: the volume of you cylinder; and now you can only have so much pressure in there without blowing your head: or more elquently put, compression" which is one of the stupidest things ive ever heard. make a poll, see how many people have bent rods vs. how many have blown their heads off. and that volume isnt compression either. yes the force of the combustion is acting against the heads, but they arent moving, they arent transfering power to a crankshaft. forgive me i assumed that you would know that the weak point in a boosted engine is the moving parts and not the head. silly me. and what about my title? you can be "clubcivics official a*****e", because all that comes out of you is s**t.

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol wow i feel some hostilaty...so first off, this is a FAQ page, it goes for all turbos not just there turbos, so the way your saying it you should become their main marketer man, becuase you know so much. So shot that idea to S**t. and lol cylinders have niehter a top nor bottom there have just walls, lol have you even seen a engine?? i believe what your talking about on the domed or flat surface is the head...im not that stupid...lol its quite funny to me since this post of yours is in straight contradiction to your last post, which makes me think you know less than i supposedly know...maybe before you reply you should go back to your last posts so you can not make it look like your idiot who knows nothing and say one thing and then come back and in YOUR own post go on and on about how you previously said is wrong LOL your a FRIGGIN IDIOT, you should go back to your stupid little anime and continue pleasing yourself to little animations of women

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

The FAQ is still on that turbo companies website. They are still trying to sell you a turbo. Do you think that a company is going to say bad things about their product on their on website?
It is possible to have as good if not better gas mileage after a turbo, if the car is driven nicely and doesn't hit full boost or wide open throttle conditions, but why would you want to do that? That isn't any fun. Once you start hitting boost more fuel is used.
The head isn't the only thing that determines the compression. The piston plays a major role as well. You don't only buy heads to change the compression, you buy them for their flow. If you want to change compression you go with a different piston, whether that be domed, dished, or flat top.
Of course their is pressure on the head when the piston is compressing the fuel/air mixture, but there is a downward force acting on the piston as well as a force trying to push the cylinder walls out. The head isn't going to move. If you have a strong enough bottom end (fully built) you may blow a head gasket from too much boost, but it is much more likely that you will break/bend a rod first.

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
JEESE finally someone respectfully gives me a reply and doesnt call me an idiot. i greatly appreciate it. Now yes i fully understand that if you "hot rod" it with a turbo you will use more gas...but the question at hand was that installing a turbo meant more gas...i was simply stating that no, installing a turbo does not mean more gas, its what you do when the turbo is on that uses more gas. I also realize that the head isnt the only compression determing item, i was once agian simply stating that handlebarsfsr was wrong in saying that heads dont create compression...well if it werent forheads their would be no compression, as they seal the top of the cylinder...so i hope now that me and turbozinc have come to somewhat of a understading that you can guys actually believe what im saying is true and is not just hot air....About the webpage, im sure if you ask anyone who builds motors they will say that turbos do in effect use less gas, now if you do always have the pedal touching the floor you will use more gas, but that will happen on any car...one last point: handlebarsfsr, by simply installing a turbo you DO increase mpg, that is that you drive the same way you drove without turbo(and yes you will still have more hp and will be able to feel it even if you dont hot rod). I greatly appreciate your response turbozinc, as i think(although you may of in the past) you are the only to respod and not include words like idiot, or dumba**. so now i hope between what i just said and what turbozinc in the above thread that we can all come to a understanding

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what kind of car do you have Biohazard, what motor, and how can you explain how you are going to have a 400 horse streetable civic? You never answered me that...I am just wondering.