Turbo

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "TurboZinc"

Just curious, but what is wrong with a "just american company"?
they build crap....... like MUSTANGS! :lol:

i'm just playing. there are some companies like crower that make top quality parts for import cars, so that is an invalid statement........ oh, and i'm sure ford makes some nice things too. i wouldn't know.... i'm more of a corvette guy myself.... :twisted:

and the d-series is crap. you start with, at best, a ~35hp deficit (b16a2 vs. d16y8) to overcome. also, any mod you make to the d-series will have a smaller effect than on a b-series. a d-series does not spin to 8500rpms. one last thing............... VTEC. and don't tell me about those single-cam vtec motors.... i used to have one and they're a joke. :wak: :slap: :mrgreen:

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i never said the d was better than the b! read my posts! i was saying that for the money it takes to do a full b series swap, you can have a more powerful boosted d. concidering its about 3 grand for a full b16a swap, with shipping and all the accessories needed (new belts, water pump, etc) if you spend that same 3 grand on the d16z6 or y8 you can have a much faster car. with proper tuning, you can put down around 220 whp on a stock d16 bottom end with a used or junkyard turbo kit. stock b16a's usually put down somewhere in the neighborhood of 140whp. thats a difference of 80whp. thats a lot. lets spend another 2 grand or so, for a total of 5g's. for that, you can build the bottom end of the d and run more boost. or get a junkyard/custom turbo for your b16, or do some work on the b16 n/a. the built and boosted d16 will again be significantly faster (properly tuned) than either the stock boost b16 or a n/a b16. after this point, yes your about out of options with the d16, but depending on what car you have it in, your well into the 11's with your d, and you've only spent 5 grand. you'd be very hard pressed to get any faster than a high 12 or low 13 on a stock boost b16, or even slower on an n/a b16. spend even more money, and yes, the b is going to be faster. but unless this is a full out drag car, 11's are damn quick for a street driven car. and now what happens if something blows on either motor? i can go to just about any junkyard in the country and find a d series motor that i can pull parts off of, or just buy the whole motor as a spare for very little money. many shops that do engine swaps throw away the d's after they are out of the car, so you might even be able to pick up a spare drivetrain or two for free. there are very few, if any b16's just sitting in junkyards. the demand for this motor is too great for any junkyard owner with a brain to just let sit in his yard. if you need parts for it, they are going to be a lot more expensive, and they are going to be harder to find.

UnitZero

First Child
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
how reliable is a built and boosted D16 compare to a B18b Turbo for a daily driver.

Just so I dont get confused, your talking about the D16Z engines right and not the D16Y7s? cause I know those DX engines cant take much. I think a DX with a JRSC comes out to what a teg LS makes.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yea im talking about the sohc vtec d16's, not the non-vtec d15's. the z6 and y8 have internals very similar to the b series, like a forged crankshaft, while the d15 has a much weaker cast crank. reliability is all in the tuning. you can blow up either motor on only a few psi, or you can run 12 psi, tuned correctly and driven right for 100k miles. if you build the bottom end on a d16 and run low boost for daily driven (5-10psi) and only use very high boost when racing or on the track, it will be more reliable than a b18b on stock internals, and the d will make a lot more power once you crank the boost up because its able to handle 20psi or so. but again, its all in the tuning. if you have a d15, dont bother with it, you'll spend more money getting it to be as good as the d16 as it would have cost to swap in a d16 or even a b series. about the only b i would personally swap in would be the b18b, but only if i found a really good one for a really good price. if n/a is your thing, by all means get a b16 or b18c, they are far superior to the d. but when it comes to boost, vtec isnt all that great. and i know sohc vtec is a joke, but the d16 is superior to the d15 for other reasons, like the stronger block, crank, and better valvetrain.

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I agree with you on how D16's are alot better than D15's...but for my purposes...the D series motor will have to do for now till I can get into a B18A/B. I have also been looking at B20's. I am into autocross so...vtec isn't going to help me out alot. I have thought about forgetting the Turbo idea....but I havn't heard great things out of NA tuned B series motors. I guess in the beginning it is cheaper to tune a D series. But in the long run you can get alot more out of a B.

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ive really got to ge something other than my d15 then lol so many horrible things said about it YIKES...but i guess its better i know that i sucks, than to try and "tune" it and only get dissapointed

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Originally posted by "99ExCoupe"

I agree with you on how D16's are alot better than D15's...but for my purposes...the D series motor will have to do for now till I can get into a B18A/B. I have also been looking at B20's. I am into autocross so...vtec isn't going to help me out alot. I have thought about forgetting the Turbo idea....but I havn't heard great things out of NA tuned B series motors. I guess in the beginning it is cheaper to tune a D series. But in the long run you can get alot more out of a B.
depending on how much money your willing to spend, the best setup i can think of offhand would be like a b18b with a gsr/b16 gearbox and a jackson racing supercharger, with a quaife lsd. you want the shorter gears of the vtec tranny (a b16 or itr would be best, but they are hard to find. get whichever you can find) you start with good torque in the b18b, and a j.r. s/c gives you way more. this will be a huge help in the slow, tight corners of an autocross track.

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah....I really like turbo motors....but for autocross they arn't really that useful. For road racing they are great.