Turbo

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
k i seen twin turbo's in supras and stuff but is it possible to have 1 in a gen.5 civic hatch with ne engine and if so which 1??

knockoff

you can call me ABE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i think he wants to know if you can have a twin turbo?? on "any" civic engine...

i have no fuggin' clue???

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
nope, not possible

Violator

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Anything is possible, look at most Supra guys though, most have ditched their twin turbo's for a single large turbo...why not just put a T3/T4 turbo on? I've rode in a Type R with one at 7psi and it keeps with built and blown V8's.

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanx alot guys so it is posible but wud that make the engine go boom :what: ??????

spider883

Supercharged Si
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes it has been done.. however it is not practical bc u our engines do not push enough exhuast to power two turbos.. maybe run an H22 bored and stoked to 2.5L and it may.. but i wouldnt count on it

Violator

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Anything will blow an engine if you exceed it's tolerance...it's all about fuel management...if you run 7 psi you should be ok...there's almost no need for a twin turbo setup...your going to pay quite a bit more for the setup for results that you could reach with one turbo and half the cost.

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok thanx i got another ques how much hp does an h22 engine have and where can i get 1? will it fit in a gen 5 or 6 ?

Violator

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe 200hp and you can get one from www.jspecjdm.net...or www.hmotorsonline.com, there's a few places you can get them. and yes it will fit in a 5th gen, but the 6th gen will prolly be better...you gonna redo your suspension, you may need to.

EG6

Ricky@WhipFactory.com
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the USDM h22's don't have 200HP. I believe they're 190.

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how is it better in a 6th if the 5th is lighter? or wud they power:weight ratio be way off? and wut is light er the 5th or 6th ive heard both for alot of people

black_dragon_i

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
WAIT!!!! So you are telling this guy to bore a H22 over and then turbo. If you have ever seen a H22 without the head on it you will see that the walls on this motor are already much thinner than the B series motors. If you are going to overbore this motor then you need to be practical for the level of money, power and experience you have. Then a thin wall means that running higher boost is more dangerous, true load values for N/A and turbo motors are differant but this is still dangerous for someone without a BIG wallet that does not have much experience with performance vehicles! Everything you read in a mag or see on a drag car is not good for daily driving. A drag car or s serious performance vehicle is usually not driven all the time (daily) and so things like boring over can be done easily, they do not worry about emmisions or gas miliage YOU DO!

Yes the US H22 make 190 before 97 after it made 200
No it will not simply bolt in you need a mount kit as well as axles, and know how to wire the ECU wire harness (i suggest you get a shop that has experience to do this) and yes it will cost you!

Yes you could twin turbo the motor it is possible but as it was said your CID is not high enough for you to spool anything but the tiniest turbines with your motor. Sometimes twin turbo is better but usually a well chosen turbine with the right intercooler is more efficient and that is all that matters when you are looking for performance.

Contrary to popular belief the T3/T4 is NOT the ultimate in Honda turbine choice. There are other turbines out there and I know everyone in their mom says "go with the T hybrid" but it all depends on your set up and motor. Go to small and you peaks early and your cars rythm is chattered as well as not doing anything but heating up the intake charge and robbing you or power, go to big and your boost threshold (IT IS NOT CALLED TURBO LAG THIS IS A INCORRECT TERM) or the time it takes you to feel boost from vacuum (idle/stand still) will be high and you will have a peaky turbine simular to VTEC powered cars.

Turbo lag is the time it takes overall for boost to be remade after a shift or while in boost to increase boost with pedal effort which as you can see is not anything like threshold time.

Engine goes boom if you or whoever builds the system does not make sure your A/F or air/fuel ratio is correct and the bottom end's recipricating parts can take the added stress of raised atmospheric pressure within the chamber. Is it legal all depends on how things are done, there are CARB legal kits which include intergral wastegates or wastegates that dump back into the exhaust pipe before the cat.

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well if you look at your explanation of "turbo threshold" and turbo lag, they sound pretty much the same to me, i dont know about you people...and as far as the A/F ratio, your mass air sensor should accomadate for that...just call a performance shop that sells them and tell them your boost(psi) and the psi of your injectors, and they can match ya up with one that will work just fine. Also by installing a turbo you overall use less gas...More air in the combustion chamber = less gas, and since the air makes the compression greater you still get more power...just a few things i noticed that were explained incorrectly.

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
first of all...i know very little about turbos...but

if you have more air being pushed in because of the turbo, and less gas...wouldnt you be running lean?

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Because you are pushing more air your car is going to compensate by dumping in MORE gas. Therefore turbos raise fuel consumption!!

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "BioHazard"

well if you look at your explanation of "turbo threshold" and turbo lag, they sound pretty much the same to me, i dont know about you people...and as far as the A/F ratio, your mass air sensor should accomadate for that...just call a performance shop that sells them and tell them your boost(psi) and the psi of your injectors, and they can match ya up with one that will work just fine. Also by installing a turbo you overall use less gas...More air in the combustion chamber = less gas, and since the air makes the compression greater you still get more power...just a few things i noticed that were explained incorrectly.
Everything you just said is completely wrong. The mass air sensor will probably need to be recalibrated or replaced to match the injectors, but the mass air sensor just tells the computer how much air is flowing into the engine so the computer knows how long to keep the fuel injectors open. Without a good tune the computer won't know what to make of the extra (pressurized) air and will run extremely lean and blow s**t up. more air does not equal less gas, its actually the opposite. If you cram more air into the combustion chamber the more fuel you need. This is why when you increase horsepower you also need to step up to larger injectors. Your fuel economy would not change if you kept the car out of boost, but who is going to do that?

A twin turbo on a I-4 is just impractical. Only one bank of cylinders to run a turbo off of and the displacement is just too small. A supra uses two turbos off one bank of cylinders, but it does it sequentially, one small turbo and one bigger one. With a properly sized turbo only one is really needed.

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
since when do our civics have mass-air sensors?

and turbozinc is right on with the twin-turbo concept.... you use two turbos when you have two exhaust manifolds to spool them....

by the way, my car only has more agressive honda cams, and i am running so lean it worries me.... my next mod will be an ecu and wideband.... a turbo without engine management is insane and very highly not recommended................

and please don't ever take the word of a "performance shop"..... do your own research before you make a purchase.