Turboing a Vtec engine.....

CIVIC_VTEC

LOW AND SLOW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok i have a d16y8... and im wanting to turbo the engine as it stands, i heard from a friend that turboing a vtec engine, in fact the vtec will pretty much eat up the turbo. in other words is turbo bad for the vtec? hopefully i can get the right feedback and save alot of money on this build.:???:

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
youre "friend" is an idiot

what are you goals with the car, whats your budget

CIVIC_VTEC

LOW AND SLOW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i agree with you bro, i was just verifying, cause to be honest im new to the boosted cars thing, but around $2,000. and making it a daily driver, but a fun car to take to the drag stip here and then.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it can be harder to tune… that's probably what your friend was referring to

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it can be harder to tune… that's probably what your friend was referring to

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
okay you have two threads, are you wanting to boost this thing or just do basic bolt on type stuff

Cobl18

Registered VIP
I read in another post that you put u that you have a D16Y8 right? do you have a auto tranny?

rayaccord101

Registered VIP
im a noob too but when vtec hits doesnt it use more oil and if you slap a turbo on wont it use even more oil? maybe thats what hes refering to?

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
im a noob too but when vtec hits doesnt it use more oil and if you slap a turbo on wont it use even more oil? maybe thats what hes refering to?
the only way oil should be used is for lubrication/cooling, if youre reffering to oil being consumed then there is something wrong ie you have a leak or you or burning oil. So to answer your question no.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think what ray's referring to is the idea that many vtec engines burn a little oil in vtec. I know for a fact that mine does because when I'm really pushing her hard I can smell a little oil being burnt, but thats in a B18C1 and usually only when I'm taking it close to redline.

spad3dEK

5+ Year Member
I think what ray's referring to is the idea that many vtec engines burn a little oil in vtec. I know for a fact that mine does because when I'm really pushing her hard I can smell a little oil being burnt, but thats in a B18C1 and usually only when I'm taking it close to redline.
im run a turbo on my zcz6 (vtec) and i dont burn that much oil... granted this is my dd so i dont come near redline very often but still you shouldent burn that much that youll notice unless your up in the rpms all day long

Cobl18

Registered VIP
When I hit v-tec i don't burn oil at all. Your not supposed to burn oil lol

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah, burning oil generally means your piston rings are worn (blow-by) or your valve stem seals are leaky. Either way, oil is getting into the combustion chamber and although it starts out only leaking in under higher pressure (high rpm, full throttle etc), trust me: it gets worse lol

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
really the only problem ive seen people run into with boosting a vtec motor is tunability like mentioned before and also traction. Ive got a buddy thats been running a boosted h22a in his 94 lude for a couple years now. took him a good three days to get the tune right and now his only problem is second and third gear when vtec actually engages the wheels break loose. hes running 14psi i believe. might be 16 i cant remember but its a blast none the less lol.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get rid of vtec and build low compression...

Blazze

with 2000 you can get a LS with a b16 tranny get a stage 3 clutch and youll spank so many cars