Unidentified oil leak... Need help locating.

zXeX

5+ Year Member
Unidentified oil And Coolant leak... Possible Head-Gasket?? Water/oil Not Mixing..

2000 EX - D16Y8, 5spd.

EDIT: Updated due to finding out that I am losing coolant as well in the same area. There isn't any coolant in the oil and vice verse. But Both have been observed seeping from the left, back-side of the engine from an area that I can't quiet see.

What's around the alternator area of the engine that could leak oil? I can see just under the car enough (no jack or lift to use right now) to see that the block is oil soaked just behind/around the alternator area. The valve cover gasket is new, and so is the oil pan gasket. Both front seals have also been done. Was doing fine for a while, but losing oil again, and it definitely looks to be coming from that area while driving. It doesn't drip while sitting, only driving... Loses about half a quart or so every 2-3 weeks..

Thanks.

Last edited:

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Did you use HondaBond or RTV sealant when you put on the new valve cover gasket? They leak on the sides where it humps up if you don't. It could be your cam seal too.

zXeX

5+ Year Member
Proper sealant was used on the valve cover gasket, and looking around the valve cover, it looks clean. Both the cam and crank seals were replaced cleanly, and the oil doesn't appear to be coming from the timing cover at all. Hoping it isn't a head gasket...

civicspencer

Registered VIP
Wipe it all clean the best you can and pay attention to it. And check periodically and I bet you'll find an pin point it, thats what I did

zXeX

5+ Year Member
Sadly I may have to go with head-gasket myself now.... I went and did a recheck after dark with a flashlight to try and spot the oil leak area easier, But 1st I checked the coolant for oil. No oil in coolant, BUT, coolant was low... SO, I walk around, and look under the car again with the flashlight.. I could clearly see the wet spot of oil on the block, But with bits of green here and there..Coolant...

So, The two can leak externally without mixing internally? There's no water/coolant in the oil either....

There has been no overheating issues...

Decipher

Registered VIP
It depends what type of failure and where it has occurred on the gasket, but it's completely possible, I would think.

You won't notice overheating unless you burn up enough of your coolant that it can't sufficiently cool the engine, or until oil gets into the coolant passages and causes the thermostat to stick closed... but missing coolant, along with the oil leak is a good sign that the culprit may be the head gasket.

Until you locate the problem, if you continue finding low coolant levels DO NOT just top up with water... use 50/50 mix so that you don't dilute your system... using just water will shorten the amount of time(if it is a blown head gasket) that it takes to burn through the antifreeze and start to overheat... should you get stuck driving for a prolonged period.

zXeX

5+ Year Member
I have yet to go back and check for the answer to this next question (it's 25 out and snowing), but is there by chance a coolant line running in that area? On its way to the heater core perhaps? I'm hoping that coincidentally it's seeping down onto the block if it's a line leaking.. probably not lucky enough for that one though...

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
towards the alternator there aren't really any hoses..none with oil/coolant fluids atleast