Update: 16x7, lowered 1.5"

NeedsMoreLow

I asked not too long ago about putting 17x7's on my 99 LX. I'm glad I didn't. Here are some Edr9's, 16x7 on 205/55/16 Yokohama Avid tires. Only paid 120 for everything. And you can see the tread on those. The backs rub like an MF though. (The indoor pic is before the springs settled.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For reference... http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/17x7.229386/#post-3432121

Now you notice why I was against the 17"s and the 7" width. At least it only cost you $120 to test it out. There's a chance that rolling the rear fenders may at least improve the rub issue as could a 195-50-16 tire.

What are your plans now? Depending on your answer, it may be best to merge both threads and just re-titling it since technically its all related.

NeedsMoreLow

Yeah, I knew 17x7 would be ridiculous. I'm glad I went with 16x7. Most of the rub is on the rear fender wells. So I'll probably just tear out the lining on the back.
I also have the better two tires on the back, currently, but I'll probably swap them to the front. I realize this is against normal suggestion, but I'm not willing to sacrifice tread while I'm trying this all out.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For $120 for rims & tires, its definitely justifiable as an experimental testing expense.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
damn 55 profile thas really big side profile for our cars, factory si came with 195 55 15 with 15x6.5 +42 offset wheels i would susgest runign with 195 40 16 or 205 40 16 you can also go with 45 profile tires if you like but 40 profiles matches closely to our stock outer wheel total diamter

NeedsMoreLow

Well, this is an LX, so stock is 14x6 on 185/40's.
I like tires with bigger side walls. Not a fan of low pros. They look dumb, and they burst easily.

Spyro

5+ Year Member
I have Konig Retracks 15x7.5 with a +32 offset. My tire size is 195/50 and I never rub, like NEVER lol. The tires have a super baby stretch I don't have a camber kit, no fender roll or anything just lowered on adjustable coilovers and my finger fits right between the rear fender and the tire itself. Wheel tucks in with no issues at all

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
lx ex dx si chassis are same just came with different things and options. 16s i would rock 40 profile. also bigger tires throws off your speedo readings bigger diameter will make the car slower and the smaller will be faster speedo in the cluster is not always acurate not to mention mpg suffer a tiny bit. if you want bigger side wal tires i would suggest going down to 15s and you can use teh 50 or 55 profile tires

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I have Konig Retracks 15x7.5 with a +32 offset. My tire size is 195/50 and I never rub, like NEVER lol. The tires have a super baby stretch I don't have a camber kit, no fender roll or anything just lowered on adjustable coilovers and my finger fits right between the rear fender and the tire itself. Wheel tucks in with no issues at all
i have the same wheels except my are 15x7 with +11 offset with 195 45 15s and thats with my car dumpped

this is my with 15x7 with +11 offset 195 45 15 i have about one pinky gap in the front and the rear tucked in and i don't rub at all my coilovers on the fronts are set to 16mm from the bottom and rears 20mm from the bottom

Attachments

NeedsMoreLow

lx ex dx si chassis are same just came with different things and options. 16s i would rock 40 profile. also bigger tires throws off your speedo readings bigger diameter will make the car slower and the smaller will be faster speedo in the cluster is not always acurate not to mention mpg suffer a tiny bit. if you want bigger side wal tires i would suggest going down to 15s and you can use teh 50 or 55 profile tires
Or I could just buy coilovers for less than buying all new tires, and be totally fine...

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
lol i do like the wider look too i'm in the hunt for some 15x8.5, 15x9, and 16x9. i have plenty of friends with 15s and with 195 55 15s with like 1.5" drop not to much wheel gap and not as low. i purposely dumped my cause knowing my self and my heavy foot it keeps me from getting into trouble for speeding.

Offset is your friend lol.
yeeeessssss it isss

Spyro

5+ Year Member
Try this website out, it helped me figure out what fits without having to roll stuff http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

I used 195/65 tire size 14x5 wheel with +45 offset as the proper stock wheel reference and plugged in the new wheel specs in the right chart. It actually tells you how much clearance you would still have if the stock wheel was basically sitting fully flush with the wheel well

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
thats a pretty good site. lol but i figure my tire sizes that i need in a old school fashion way

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I had some old school buddy clubs back in the day that were 17x7 and a 205/45/17 tire and never had a rubbing issue even when I dropped the car on supertechs 2-2.5" all the way around. That was back in 2003 I think.

@endo617 I had a set of the OZ superleggera's, absolutely loved those wheels. Used them as the daily's then the autox wheels until I sold them.