"Upgrade" to a '05 Civic ?

Hondaman4ever

Hi.

Currently have an '00 Civic SE but car is written off by insurance and I'm in the market for yet another Civic. There's a guy selling an "05 Civic (Si trim) for $1500 OBO. The problem with the car is that the throwout bearing is making noise. Nothing else wrong with it but I still haven't actually seen the car yet.
Couple of questions, I know most would say the 6th gen Civics are better/handle better than the 7th. Would that hold true compared to an '05 (the last of the 7th gen) ?

The other thing, I know this will be several $100's to repair (I won't be able to do it myself) and I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy this car let's say for around $2000 (Canadian) ?

Thanks.

Hondaman4ever

What convincing evidence was presented to indicate the noise was actually a throw out bearing issue?
No evidence. That's what the ad says and that's what the guy told me when I called him. But throwout bearing or not, I just wanted to know if an '05 Civic is better than an '00 in general. I drove an '03 Acura El for a few months and didn't like the way it handled (due to not having the double wishbones) and wondering if the '05 Civic is the same. Too bad 6th gen Civics -exception of EX- didn't come with any of the nice stuff like the newer ones seem to have.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
When you say "SI", for the 7th gen Canadian market, you're referring to the 01-05 coupe/sedan and NOT the EP3 hatchback?

Hondaman4ever

Never believe anything sellers tell you unless it’s verifiable.

“Better” is a subjective term. What specific quantifiable features do you wish to compare?
Of course I know I shouldn't believe everything sellers tell me but I was going to check it out myself, however like I said it's not about the problem the car has but more about whether the '05 Civic is a better car over all and I know it's true "better" is subjective but there are facts no one can argue about (I keep hearing Civics after the 6th gen aren't as good and don't handle as good...). I've been driving 5th and 6th gen for the past 7 or 8 years and I'm tempted to try the 7th ('04 or '05 only) but if they feel like the '03 then I'll probably just stick to the 6th Civics. The things that I do like about these newer Civics is the options they have (mainly cruise control) but I also like the cosmetic stuff like the instrument panel and the 2-tone dash color however I'm not really crazy about the shape of the car itself. I also thought this car (on CL) might be a good deal even if I had to spend a few hundred dollars, which is why I was tempted. It's also a vtec .

Mr Baker, yes it's a sedan. Not a hatch.

Last edited:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've been driving 5th and 6th gen for the past 7 or 8 years and I'm tempted to try the 7th ('04 or '05 only) but if they feel like the '03 then I'll probably just stick to the 6th Civics.
The '05 being a 7th gen, it's still going to handle like an early 7th gen, 01-03.

Hondaman4ever

Ok. Thanks, mr baker and boofoo for the replies.

I have driven an '03 Acura EL -as mentioned- but honestly, I thought the car was dangerous to drive (it felt like it was easy to flip over if you turn the wheel too quickly at high speeds and it wasn't stable on the hiway) and the car barely had 80,000 Kms on it. So, if that's how the '05 handles then I'm going to pass. But I might try one just for the heck of it and see if it's any different from the EL.

Boofoo, yeah I know the EX (6th gen) has the vtec but i know the EX trim is worst on gas and being here in Vancouver/Canada where gas prices are the highest in all of Canada and the US, I won't go for an EX.

Hondaman4ever

If good gas mileage is the goal, shop for an HX.

It has VTEC and CC.
I think the HX is a hatch back. Right? Won't fit my needs but these are very hard if not impossible to find here in canada -or at least where I am. Hell, it's very hard to find any 6th gen Civics (sedans in particular) for sale at all.