Upgrading wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slove234

Considering going from stock 14 inch wheels to 16 inch on my 1997 honda civic, anything I should know before hand? Anything I can do to prevent tire rub? Or will that even be an issue?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
205/50/16 tires with a +40 offset

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Rule of thumb:

15" on 5th gen
16" on 6th gen
17" on 7th gen
:thumbs up

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
14" on 5th gen
15" on 6th gen
16" on 7th gen
unless your a monster truck enthusiasts.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
16s look to big on 6th gen civics go with a 15.
I disagree with this. 17s are overkill on a 6th gen and will always give you issues. 16" fit perfectly on a 6th gen., provided you don't drop it lower than 1.5 inches and don't go higher than a 50 profile. If you go lower than a 1.5 inch drop, its in the tires best interest to roll the fenders. 15s fit great on a 6th gen. and have less risk of rubbing. 15s also allow you to use a higher profile tire which improves ride feel. Of course all this also hinges on having good quality suspension equipment.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It depends on the size of the tire as well. 15s on some beefy tires could fit just as well as 16's on low profile tires. With my 6th gen, I had 17s, which was fine with no drop. I was able to go slammed on 16s and had no issues other than a little tire rub on the inner fender. I raised the car up 1/16" and it was gone.

OP you will be just fine on 16's.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I disagree with this. 17s are overkill on a 6th gen and will always give you issues. 16" fit perfectly on a 6th gen., provided you don't drop it lower than 1.5 inches and don't go higher than a 50 profile. If you go lower than a 1.5 inch drop, its in the tires best interest to roll the fenders. 15s fit great on a 6th gen. and have less risk of rubbing. 15s also allow you to use a higher profile tire which improves ride feel. Of course all this also hinges on having good quality suspension equipment.
tomato tomato its all a matter of opinion but i was referring more towards performance not aesthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.