V-tech

V-tech conversion??

• Total voters

Rocketcali90

Hey, ok so this may sound dumb idk, i have a 97 honda civic dx sohc non v-tech. Im wondering if there is a v-tech conversion and if it is worth it. thanks

Jlpz88

Registered VIP
depends do you want it cordless or with cord?

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can convert your engine to VTEC. It's commonly referred to as a mini-me swap. You do it by swapping the head with one from an EX. You would also have to do some wiring and swap the ECU or get a VTEC controller. It's not that hard but it is a little bit of a headache on an automatic.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you want to gain noticeable power and be considerably faster, not worth it. If you want something with a tiny bit more pep, it's worth it.

And it's VTEC. V-TECH is a phone.

Last edited:

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You guys kill me, lol, I say go cordless, had a cord & couldn't leave the house or V-Tech would stop working. =)

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It was funny but now it's getting old... Let's help him out.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
you could do a head swap. used heads on ebay are like 200 bucks but you might have to get them milled. you can get a professionally rebuilt head with all new seals and pressure tested and a unlimited mileage 1 year warranty for roughly 300 bucks. You would need a ECU and some wiring done but its not hard. I'm fixing to do a head replacement myself.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
You could also go with a Z6 head and get better flow in the top end over the Y8 head, it requires some more work than just throwing on a Y8 head but its a few more ponies to work with.