Very hard decision

Shiby8

I dont know if I should buy this 92 civic lx with 208000 miles on it, it's one of my buddies from work but what should I expect? Anyone got any answers or know if I should even do it? I'm buying it for a grand if I do it but after that I only have 500 to spend on parts I know I will need

James315

depends on how well maintained it is and how good of shape it is in i personally would look it over but if your questioning it maybe you shouldnt get it lol..

alex_n/a

stocker
there is a lot of parts to consider with high millage cars. Most of your problems will be rust. Not sure if you get snow where you live but if they use salt on the road then check under the car. you don't want to buy a car that has nice paint and interior but then the suspension is rusted or worse your brake lines are rusted and one day you break one of the hard lines and crash. If it has oil all over the place then you might be protected from rust. the oil acts as a protector but then you will have to deal with an oil leak. here is some things to check most important

brake fluid
brake calipers and pads
engine coolant
oil
spark plugs and if they have rust or oil
suspension and all bushings
battery
starter
air filter
exhaust
transmission
engine noise or knock
windows if they have cracks
has it been in a major accident or does it have a salvage title
does it overheat
the list goes on and on

don't get me wrong the car could be a good deal if you only need to replace the average things like spark plugs and wires and such. but if you need to replace 50% of the car then you are looking at putting thousands and thousands of dollars into it. lowball. sounds mean but that's life. offer 500. and he might go down to 750$ (meeting you half way). you just added 250$ more to your budget which will get you a nice set of used tires.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
With PA being a state that has state inspections, take it to a mechanic to get it checked out before you buy it. Make sure everything is sound and there are no major issues. If there are, make sure you know about them so you are surprised when you find them.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Like everyone has said, it all depends on how well it was maintained. Get it looked over by a trusted mechanic.

I know a guy who drove his 98 civic past 300k and it still drove 100% fine until they washed the engine bay and it developed a bad knock. My car is at 224k and it's seen better days but it still drives fine.

Shiby8

Well we both work in detail at a dealership and my coworker(who I'm buying the car off of) has a mechanic who helps him out all the time with the car.... All I guess I'm really asking is what parts of the car are supposed to start "going"? And I really don't wanna buy this car and it f**king die next day lol.... I can do the basics and some intermediate stuff when it comes to replacing but I can't put a new engine or transmission in a car...ya know

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I wouldn't buy a car with that high of mileage. Even if it's in good shape it's going to require a lot of maintenance. I'd save for something newer unless you are just looking for it as a straight project car.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
my coupe has 271k, only things Ive had to do was tune up. Original z6 never been rebuilt. MIght have had HG done within the last 100k. Other than timing belt and water pump and clutch its all OEM. Perfect compression never misses a beat.

Just give it a regular run down, check belts, compression, drive it around see how it feels.

Shiby8

I think I'm gonna buy it,I've heard from a lot of people that Honda last forever lol and I'm definitely gonna take care of it regularly, like I said I can do the small stuff like brakes,rotors,shocks,struts,belts,oil,water pumps,air filters and some engine work so I think if I can do all of that then there shouldn't b a problem....plus I know a guy who works at a junkyard so if I need any engine or tranny parts then I think I'll b ok... When I buy it and get headlights and taillights I'll post pics,thanks everyone for helping me out

civicspencer

Registered VIP
I think I'm gonna buy it,I've heard from a lot of people that Honda last forever lol and I'm definitely gonna take care of it regularly, like I said I can do the small stuff like brakes,rotors,shocks,struts,belts,oil,water pumps,air filters and some engine work so I think if I can do all of that then there shouldn't b a problem....plus I know a guy who works at a junkyard so if I need any engine or tranny parts then I think I'll b ok... When I buy it and get headlights and taillights I'll post pics,thanks everyone for helping me out
Good luck
Keep us updated

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.877312,-99.509389