VIN on engine block

zach246

2 gsr hatches
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what is the string of numbers under the engine number (D16Z6, B18C1, etc..) on the block? it doesnt match with the VIN# so i was wondering wat it is and how can police tell if a motor is stolen or not? (no i dont have a stolen motor, im just wondering how they can tell)

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I thought that was suppossed to be another vin tag......

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't think they started that VIN tag until '96 so it shouldn't effect the D16Z6. :what:

On my GS-R, it matched my VIN perfectly....JH4DC23**********. There were little VIN stickers throughout the car that weren't there on my earlier Civic or Prelude.

That whole practice of charging someone with stolen property because the VIN tag on the engine is a little dodgy. An earlier engine rebuild might have stripped the tag rendering an otherwise legal and perfectly useful engine "illegal". Manufacturers should stamp the VIN into the block.

HillTopGraphics

Official CC Sponsor
5+ Year Member
what is the string of numbers under the engine number (D16Z6, B18C1, etc..) on the block? it doesnt match with the VIN# so i was wondering wat it is and how can police tell if a motor is stolen or not? (no i dont have a stolen motor, im just wondering how they can tell)
I know with the tranny, the etched number is the machining number for that particular part.
I'm sure this holds true with the engine block as well. That's probably the machining # for the block. It is a unique number though, and can be traced back to the VIN.